• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collapsed spring

Black Lab

Local time
4:32 PM
Reaction score
Hi All. I have a 62 Plymouth Savoy that I have been working on for 7 years now. :yes: I know that's quite awhile, what can I say, I work slow. I just finished the body work this summer and I pushed it back in the garage and jacked it up so I could start the next job which is to put all new brake lines and wire it. Tonight I was cleaning all the sanding dust off the undercarriage when I noticed the rear spring was sitting all the way back on the spring hanger :fucyc: I don't know how that is even possible. I put SS springs in it awhile ago and it looked fine, sat good, although the drivers side was 1/2" high I'm pretty sure everything was done right, but I'm certainly No mechanic. I made adjustable front hangers to make up for the shorter front spring and used the stock rear hanger. The car is sitting on jack stands under the axle. Sorry about the crappy pictures. Anyone have any idea what happened ??? Jack

186.JPG

collapsed spring.JPG

How did the new and old springs compare in terms of overall length and center bolt location?

I got the information I needed from http://www.bigblockdart.com/forum/forum.php forum. Friendly Knowledgeable people there. My car was just a shell when I got it so I didn't have anything to compare. I put 3400# SS springs in it. The problem was the Mopar Chassis manual said that it needed to have the front hangers extended 2" but the 62 Plymouth must of had a shorter wheel base or a shorter spring. I just need to put the stock front hangers on and it should be good.

Yup, I just learned about this set up yesterday. All these years of playing with Mopars lol. Well, never owned anything older than a 66 as far as Mopar goes.

Auto Transport Service
Back