• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Competition Plus Shifter install help

ncrobb

Local time
7:24 AM
Reaction score
I finished up rebuilding the A833 trans and decided to mock up/install the shifter mechanism to make sure all is well while it’s on the bench instead of finding unexpected issues while laying on a creeper. I called Hurst and made sure I had the correct installation kit in mind (3734089) before ordering but there is no stinking way you can put it together according to their diagram and it function properly. With the shifter locked in neutral (I am using a 1/4 drill rod) I can get the 3-4 and reverse linkages assembled fine but the 1-2 rod only has 2-3 threads in the button and the rod bottoms out on the arm going into 2nd when you operate it. If I flip the offset 1-2 arm to the inside I can get better rod adjustment but the whole linkage is in a bind. I have removed the spacer, flipped the arm and tried every combination I can come up and it still isn’t right. I called Hurst Tech Support to see if I had the correct parts and the guy was very nice but he was working from home and didn’t have access to all the info. Finally found a reference to the part number stamped on the rod and it matched his documentation. Without any other suggestions he is sending me a replacement 1-2 rod and 1-2 arm. Maybe one or both are incorrect? Anybody have similar issues or maybe some insight or sage advice? I just thought of a combo I didn’t try. I will give it shot after work.

Here are a couple of videos I found useful when I needed help with mine (on a 67 GTO). Not your exact situation but it may give you some additional ideas.

In my install kit there in an "early" and "late" reverse lever. If you do have two, maybe try the other one and see if everything fits better? Are you sure you have the trans itself in neutral?

Here's some pics for you. This is a brand-new Hurst Comp. Plus shifter for a '66-'70 B body with a console.

IMG_0963.JPG IMG_0964.JPG IMG_0965.JPG

@rmchrgr are those pics in neutral? Doesn’t matter. I see the problem. The 1-2 arm in my kit is bent backwards. I thought that may be the case. When it’s installed so the top side where the rod attaches is at 1 o’clock (like shown in your pics) it offsets to the inside which throws the rod end and button in a bind. Hopefully the replacement coming will be correct.

The trans is actually an OD unit from a 1983 truck. It’s going in my ‘73 RR as soon as I get a bellhousing. Replacing the factory 3 speed. Yes, I have the 3-4 arm inverted.

thanks guys.

Auto Transport Service
Back