• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crane Clearance Camshaft

LR1970

Local time
7:29 PM
Reaction score
Hi, has anyone used this camshaft before? I plan a mild 440 build and can get this camshaft at a clearance price. Any input would be great.

Thank you

Capture.JPG

Old school Crane cam. Lott's of duration and not a tom of lift. Good street cam, easy on valve train.

I used that in my 400. It was a great street cam.
Thanks for your reply, can I ask about your engine? Did you have any head work done, O/S valves etc. Did you use a high stall convertor?

That engine had pocket ported 452 heads with 2.14/1.81 valves. It was 9:1 compression with a Weiand dual plane and a 750 carb. It made 415 HP and 450 lb/ft of torque. I was using a 2500-3000 stall converter, but I'm not sure that would be necessary with a 440.

That engine had pocket ported 452 heads with 2.14/1.81 valves. It was 9:1 compression with a Weiand dual plane and a 750 carb. It made 415 HP and 450 lb/ft of torque. I was using a 2500-3000 stall converter, but I'm not sure that would be necessary with a 440.
Thanks, your engine sounds pretty much like I plan to build. I have Edelbrock heads from a previous build I didn't use and was hoping to get away with using a stock convertor.

Leigh

years ago when I bought one car with a rebuilt 440 it had that cam with 915 heads 2.14 1.81 valves. the car had no low end power and never really turned on till the upper RPM. why ? because of the low intake lift, high exhaust duration and the wide 114 LSA. not a good cam. might give a high peak HP but giving up 30 lbs of torque and no power curve.

Here is a printout of the dyno sheet for my 400 build with that exact cam. It had a really flat torque curve, and the 114 lobe separation helped the idle quality and vacuum. It ran high 12's in my 1969 Barracuda.

400 dyno sheet.jpg

Word of warning...
Before Crane went bankrupt their quality control on their products went down the tubes, if possible I would double check things before installing..

Just my $0.02... :thumbsup:

Here is a printout of the dyno sheet for my 400 build with that exact cam. It had a really flat torque curve, and the 114 lobe separation helped the idle quality and vacuum. It ran high 12's in my 1969 Barracuda.

View attachment 1709677
your peak torque is not coming in till 4000 rpm and peak HP not till 5600 rpm just like I said. nothing I would want for a nice street engine. for the strip maybe with lots of converter and gears. The intake lift is close to a stock Mopar magnum engine. with a right cam you could have been in the mid 12's

Last edited:
Hi, has anyone used this camshaft before? I plan a mild 440 build and can get this camshaft at a clearance price. Any input would be great.

Thank you

View attachment 1708298
Just make sure you degree it properly or it you'll have poor performance.
qkcuda had great performance in a 400, it will just move the tq range down in a 440 right where you want it

What post #9 said about LSA. LSA needs to be tighter. After D. Vizard tested 000s of cams for Crane, many of the wide LSA cams were dropped & they now have tighter LSA.

img064.jpg

Word of warning...
Before Crane went bankrupt their quality control on their products went down the tubes, if possible I would double check things before installing..

Just my $0.02... :thumbsup:
Thanks for the heads up.

What post #9 said about LSA. LSA needs to be tighter. After D. Vizard tested 000s of cams for Crane, many of the wide LSA cams were dropped & they now have tighter LSA.

View attachment 1710102
Thanks, there is another version of this cam from Crane, exactly the same but with lower LSA. Unfortunately, this is not the one on sale.

View attachment 1710102
the wide LSA is 75% of the problem the other 25% is the big spread between intake and exhaust which also hurts your low end torque. the only thing the big exhaust duration does is keep your power from dropping off after you reach peak HP.

That cam is perfectly fine. It could be a great choice, or a fair choice, depending on your build details and goals, none of which we know.

gtxrt,
Agree with you 100% [ post #17 ]. I have been using rev pattern cams for the last 20+ yrs.[ less exh duration ]. Jon Kasse won the EMC with such a cam....

img083.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back