• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

cushin between sheetmetal and bracing

catloger

Local time
3:58 PM
Reaction score
I cut my hood to fit scoop, going to box in bracing to make a clean install. want to know what was used between sheetmetal and bracing before boxing end of cut bracing. the factory used a type of caulking ? not sure if it should be semi soft or hard after 50 plus years mine is hard and brittle.

0808211606a.jpg 0808211601.jpg

I cut my hood to fit scoop, going to box in bracing to make a clean install. want to know what was used between sheetmetal and bracing before boxing end of cut bracing. the factory used a type of caulking ? not sure if it should be semi soft or hard after 50 plus years mine is hard and brittle.

View attachment 1149880 View attachment 1149881
I boxed mine in also. But, I didn't deem it necessary to add any caulk. I would think a seam sealer could help you. Don't attach the bracing to the hood skin.

Mike
IMG_1766.JPG

SEM makes a polyurethane foam that works really well. I used it on my hood because all of
my caulk was breaking loose also. It didn't push the panel out at all. no shrinking or swelling at all!
I was really impressed. It came in a green two-tube side-by-side system. You have to use a
special caulk gun, and mixing tubes, but this stuff works! I'll find my pictures and post them here

Auto Transport Service
Back