• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cutting the tunnel

chrisd

Local time
10:54 PM
Reaction score
I've seen somewhere that in order to put a new style transmission in my '67, I'll need to raise the transmission tunnel. If so, does someone have a template, or is it just cut and raise it up a couple of inches ? I'm (finally) working the body and I'd like to get this out of the way now instead of going back and cutting later.

Get the eng/trans together, mount the eng and start raising the trans into the tunnel and cut accordingly. The torsion bar crossmember will need to be cut out and redone.

Sounds like a plan. Didn't know if it was something I could take care of now or not.

Fire up the cut off wheel and sawzall. Take your time and cut alittle at a time, also to have some clearence around the trans, tape a 1x3 board to the top of the trans and build the new tunnel on top of the board. This will give ya some space on top of the trans for cables, wires, air flow, etc.

I am getting ready to do mine pretty quick, I will post pictures

Sounds good. I'll be watching.

Auto Transport Service
Back