• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Damn fridge quit making ice cubes...

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:46 AM
Reaction score
My 2011 Frigidaire quit producing ice a few days ago. I really NEED ice every day to keep my drinks cool since I work in construction.
My first effort was to replace the actual ice maker in the freezer. It is an easy job for the most part. Three course screws, a 4 pin connector and it swaps right out.
New one from Lowes: $50.
Still no ice. Next up....Water control valve. Another easy job, just a few screws, a water feed line and the 2 pin connector. I swapped it out, heard a thooop sound as if the valve opened but got no water in the inside ice maker "tray". The water line to the fridge is moving water. I poured water into the ice maker from a cup to see if it ill freeze and eject the cubes. If it does not eject the ice and refill, what the heck else is there to replace? I am a bit embarrassed to admit that while the system appears simple, I am unable to understand why it is not working. I've "googled" for answers....Some suggest to check the filter. There is no filter.
HELP !

Many times I have found a similar problem to be just the "tube" that passes through the cabinet in the back will freeze a solid chunk of ice, and not let the water into the icemaker. Basically, just take a hairdryer to the termination point of the small line where ends near the top of the fridge cabinet in the back. Once you get that plug of ice to fall in, you are ready to rock. Don't cook, just warm. HTH, Lefty71

this is what Sonny did....
:popcorn2:

I moved it to the garage keep beer in it!:drinks:

buy a new one for the house!

Did you happen to check to see if you had power in the connector?

Ice cube trays don't cost very much

No doubt you need ice working construction. Ice makers in fridges have a propensity to breakdown. Maybe you should look for a stand alone ice maker?

Last edited:
Got me an Opal Nugget Ice Maker. Makes the small Ice nuggets sort of like Sonic ice.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0751KDVTP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On your Ice maker, there should be some switch or IR beam/detector to know when the door is open. Might want to check that that works?
I need to fix my fridge ice maker too. Bought a new unit, but it makes ice really slow. I think the temp sensor in the new unit is junk.

Not sure if this will help but there a site you where you can check trouble codes.
https://removeandreplace.com/2015/08/12/frigidaire-refrigerator-error-codes/
20180719_233831.jpg

451 Mopar:
That ice maker looks great! The Wife looked up a few for me the other day. If I went that route, I'd surely want one that refilled the water automatically like the one in the fridge does.
I've done google searches, YouTube searches...Called a buddy as well.
I've heard of clogged filters but I see no filter anywhere on this unit.
I did read that the temperature HAS to be at or near zero. All the time I've had the door open, the temperature has certainly been over that. In the 2 hours since I started the thread, some cubes have fallen! I first filled the tray by hand with a cup of water. It did freeze and dump the ice then refill with water....WOOOooooOOOOOooooo!!!
I'll report back tomorrow whether it keeps working or conks out again. Thanks !

Not sure if this will help but there a site you where you can check trouble codes.
Thank you for that....My fridge is far simpler than that one though! No water dispenser, just ice from inside.

They take awhile to time out after replacing one. Sounds like it's starting to work for you.

Watch this while you're waiting...

Last edited:
Are you getting water into the freezer area?
I think so. It spit out a row of cubes and refilled the tray. Maybe the temperature has to be just right for the whole cycle to function properly? Maybe it won't even open the water valve until the temperature is right?

Fill tube frozen or blocked.

A frozen fill tube halts ice-making production.

1. Quick Fix
    • Thaw the fill tube yourself. First, open the freezer and find the fill tube. It's located inside the icemaker at the back freezer wall. You might be able to see ice with a flashlight. Pull out the ice bin and any freezer contents in the way. Plug in a blow dryer and blow-dry the fill tube on low. The tube thaws in a couple of minutes.
    Causes
    • Water pressure to the fill tube is too low or the water line is clogged with debris can cause a fill tube to repeatedly freeze. If the saddle valve connecting the fill tube to the water supply isn't the right model or is clogged, the poor fit leads to a frozen fill tube. All refrigerators have a recommended water pressure range. Frigidaire recommends never letting water pressure fall below 20 psi.

troubleshoot-frigidaire-refrigerator-icemakers-180x180.jpg troubleshoot-frigidaire-icemaker-180x180.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back