• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dana 60 widths?

Local time
9:36 AM
Reaction score
I have a 74 Roadrunner with an 8 3/4. I am going to upgrade to a 4-link, I am also looking at upgrading to a Dana 60. Does anyone know where I can find a list of vehicles with Dana 60 and their widths?

rearaxledims.jpg

Lengths do vary just a bit at times. Factory tolerance wasn't like the space shuttle. I've found that the 66-67 B's run about 3/4 shorter than the 68-70's...at least with the 8 3/4 it does but why use a factory rear to stick into a 4 link car? They are not cheap and you don't need a pinion snubber so a truck housing would work fine. Besides that, the E body 60 is the longest one of the bunch and is probably the most expensive factory housing....

thank you for the info. But I was looking for info on trucks and anything else they came in. Maybe even newer ones that have factory rear disc? or is that asking to much?

Dana 60's for the most part, came in 3/4 ton trucks and usually have a floating axle setup. I've only seen one 60 in a 1/2 ton and that was in a 68 Ford and it had regular axles and drums but for the most part, you are going to have to cut the bearing housings off and go from there. Not sure what Ford is doing now but a few years back, you could get a Dana in a pickup that had semi floating axles. These housings are referred to as the 501 and used the 2 3/4" tube...which I've used before with no problems.

Dana 60's for the most part, came in 3/4 ton trucks and usually have a floating axle setup. I've only seen one 60 in a 1/2 ton and that was in a 68 Ford and it had regular axles and drums but for the most part, you are going to have to cut the bearing housings off and go from there. Not sure what Ford is doing now but a few years back, you could get a Dana in a pickup that had semi floating axles. These housings are referred to as the 501 and used the 2 3/4" tube...which I've used before with no problems.

They also don't have provisions for a pinion snubber.

They also don't have provisions for a pinion snubber.
Doesn't matter since he's using a 4 link.....but yeah, that's true. One more tidbit...I've cut down several of these 501's and the longest you end up with is still a couple of inches shorter than the 68-70 B rears. When you cut off the Ford truck ends just past where it necks down and weld on the new bearing housings , it won't be as long as you're wanting....and will probably be the same way on cutting one that came out of a 3/4 ton Dodge....

This is probably a new b question but why would i have to cut the axel? If i can find a list of widths and find one around the same size, wouldn't i be able to cut the perches and weld on my new brackets? I really appreciate all the info!

This is probably a new b question but why would i have to cut the axel? If i can find a list of widths and find one around the same size, wouldn't i be able to cut the perches and weld on my new brackets? I really appreciate all the info!

If you don't mind running eight lug wheels you might find one the right width.

If you don't mind running eight lug wheels you might find one the right width.
Yup, you'll be hard pressed to find a 60 from a truck with 5 lugs. The truck Dana's came mostly in 3/4 ton trucks which had full floating axles and 8 lugs wheels. Very heavy and beefy.

Auto Transport Service
Back