• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash Emblem

RR Fan Dan

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:18 PM
Reaction score
I’m assuming to get the road runner emblem off a 1974 the glove box needs to come out. Just checking before I start so I don’t run into any surprises.

Be very, very, very, very (I can't say it enough times), VERY careful.

The pins on the back of the emblems are tiny and VERY fragile, and the clips are difficult to work with and VERY strong.

I ruined two emblems trying to take them off, and that was with the plastic panel out of the car, so I could see them.

You should take that panel out, too, and still might break them like I did.

Fortunately, Satellite emblems are not terribly hard to find and not terribly expensive.

RR emblems OTOH.....

BTW- taking that AC vent panel off is "fun" with the dash still in the car.

It can be done, though with the right tools and patience.

Long (very specific length, actually), thin screwdriver (I used a flat tip because the Philips screwdrivers I had were too big)
Stubby Phillips screwdriver.
I think I also used a long Phillips bit and a 1/4" "gun" screwdriver ratchet.

It's also hard to get at the screws to put them back in.
I ended up putting masking tape on the dash with lines drawn to at least locate the screw holes side to side.
They are somewhat shallow screws that don't fit real well on some of the driver tips that must be used to reach them because of the AC duct that's in the way.
You can't touch some of them with your fingers.
I could not get the upper left corner screw back in, so I left it out.
Fortunately there are enough screws left to make it sit back down, in the dash correctly.

The pins on the back of the emblems are tiny and VERY fragile, and the clips are difficult to work with and VERY strong.

I ruined two emblems trying to take them off, and that was with the plastic panel out of the car, so I could see them.

Fortunately, Satellite emblems are not terribly hard to find and not terribly expensive.

RR emblems OTOH.....
Thanks. It ended up being really easy. There were no clips on the back. So I just gently pried it off. Not having any clips I glued the new one on with a couple of drops of crazy glue. No body will ever know there are no clips and if my passenger starts taking apart the glove box to look I’m booting his *** out.

RR emblems OTOH.....
Thanks. It ended up being really easy. There were no clips on the back. So I just gently pried it off. Not having any clips I glued the new one on with a couple of drops of crazy glue. No body will ever know there are no clips and if my passenger starts taking apart the glove box to look I’m booting his *** out.
You got lucky.
Yes I did. I would not even of had to take the glove box out if I had known. Overall it took about 20 minutes. The one good thing about taking the glove box out is I learned I have the factory plug to install a glove box light. Now just I just need to figure out how it’s done. I don’t see any pictures on the web or can I find a light on the web so I am still researching.

Auto Transport Service
Back