• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash plastic piece warped

fireguyfire

Local time
11:32 PM
Reaction score
The black plastic decorative dash piece that goes above the glovebox on my 69 charger has a warp in it out towards the drivers side end. Other than that, the piece is good and re useable.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to straighten it back up? I was debating very carefully warming the spot with a hair dryer and then weighting the area flat and letting it cool.

Heat works well on most plastics. A hair dryer may not get it hot enough though. The big risk is that you get it too hot and it changes the surface texture appearance. But, if your only other option is to buy another one, then why not try? Good luck @fireguyfire !

This may be a bit hare-brained but I would try to find a piece of 1/2” or thicker flat steel. Maybe something like the steel backing plates on a hydraulic press (in photo below). You might be able to come up something a bit better. Heat them up in the oven to about 150 degrees, place the piece face down on a solid, flat surface, lay a piece of paper on the part, place the heated plate(s) on top and add some more weight to get it to flatten an let it sit for awhile. Repeat a second time as necessary.

IMG_0363.jpeg

This may be a bit hare-brained but I would try to find a piece of 1/2” or thicker flat steel. Maybe something like the steel backing plates on a hydraulic press (in photo below). You might be able to come up something a bit better. Heat them up in the oven to about 150 degrees, place the piece face down on a solid, flat surface, lay a piece of paper on the part, place the heated plate(s) on top and add some more weight to get it to flatten an let it sit for awhile. Repeat a second time as necessary.

View attachment 1727417
That’s not crazy

Most plastics will shrink with heat. I've had good luck using boiling water rather than direct heat. The heat is more even and you know its not going to be hotter than 212 degrees. Doesn't hurt to use weight to help hold the shape while cooling.

Auto Transport Service
Back