• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash recolor

dragrazor

Local time
10:19 PM
Reaction score
Can buy a new looking dash that is tan, mine needs to be black.........What type of success and what paint if anyone has done this ? thanks Ken

Can't say much about the success rate - yet - I'm going to repaint my dash detailing, visors and door panels soon. Going from dark green to black, and using the vinyl paint more or less everybody recommends - SEM Color Coat.

As with all paint jobs, prepping is the key. Washing and degreasing throroughly first, then prepping the vinyl surface with scotch-brite or similar, then degreasing and de-siliconing again. Then paint. Should work out fine.

Thanks for the information :) Ken

I just finished a 4 year resto on my 67 Charger. I used Kolor Korrect paint on my Copper interior, they sell OE interior paint, but not in rattle cans. I painted a new black dash pad dark copper and it turned out fine...used a Prevail sprayer...

Mark

Great, encouraging :) what color paint is your metal ?.....Mine was black as well as console etc., Was your(metal part) dash a semi, gloss or satin type look ? Looking on line for details like that. Not necessarily looking for way it was vs way i prefer as is non-matching car anyway etc. Havn't removed 3 of the switches yet, Looks as if the wiper may need a spanner type wrench ? Method for headlight and it's counter part for headlight doors.?? thanks again Ken

I read your posts, very helpful as mine are white also. Thanks so much for the amount of time to add the pictures and process, hope mine do as well :) I will add pics of B4 and after.:)

The dash frame from the factory was a suede finish, Kolor Korrect sells the correct suede finish paint in factory colors...

Mark

Thanks again for the help, unfortunately dash deal fell thru, so need a new pad or mine repaired any suggestions ? thanks as always

Just chiming in again, as I finally repainted some my interior vinyl parts yesterday and so far, the results look promising. Used up a can of SEM Landau Black which was enough to cover front and rear door panels, glove box lid and steering wheel pad. Still need to repaint the sun visors, armrests and dash pads.

My interior was originally dark green, door panels were two-tone dark/light green.

I prepped the parts with several washes with dish detergent, scotch-brite scrubbing and a thorough wash with a semi-nasty vinyl cleaner. Had to clean some parts several times, as the 40+ year-old gunk refused to budge without heavy persuasion. Then, I sprayed on a tack coat first and went on with a few covering coats wet on wet, as the vendor over here recommended. Parts look nice, color looks even and seems to sit firmly. SEM is good stuff.

Auto Transport Service
Back