• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disc Conversion??

68chargerr

Local time
8:18 PM
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking into converting my 68 charger Power Brake Drum car to front or all wheel disc. I see some kits come with Either a new Master, or a new master and booster. Some also come with a portioning valve, other do not. If I do go 4 wheel disc do I need a different master? Do I need a new Master and Booster? I think I only need the portioning valve if I go Front Disc and rear drum but I could be wrong there as well.

I am looking at after market disc not the factory originals.

Any help would be great

If you're going to power disc all the way around from a power drum set up, your old master and booster are useless. Front disc/Rear drum will require a proportioning valve to offset the pressure differential between the two.

disc conversion

Just did my front disc conversion. I used the Right Stuff Detailing manual brake kit. Came with the master cylinder and proportioning valve. Nice kit, but really badly written directions. I guess nobody ever tried to follow the directions at the factory....

Anyway, you can't use drum brake master with discs. Different volume/displacements.

You should consider using the Muscle Car Brakes ceramic rear brake shoes. That's what I've done, as I'm unsure how much benefit there is to going with all 4 discs. You'll get more than adequate braking, with modern materials. And save $300-400. in the process.

Don't forget to add contemporary tires. Great brakes on bias tires isn't going to help a lot...

D

There is no real reason to use rear discs on a street car so you might save the money. The problem with using a drum brake master with discs is the residual pressure valve that is built into the master. This valve keeps a few PSI in the lines at all times to minimize delay in the brake actuation when pedal pressure is applied. If used with discs the pads would drag too much.

Auto Transport Service
Back