• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you get the feelung your Tv is spying on you?

1STMP

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:40 PM
Reaction score
Sparklight Streaming.
Every time I get up to
do something, I return to
a screen that asks if I'm
still watching. This can't
be a coincidence....

Most of them do that (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.). It's one way of how they conserve bandwidth
and try to serve more people with less capacity...

Most of them do that (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.). It's one way of how they conserve bandwidth
and try to serve more people with less capacity...
Still freaks me out. Grew up
in the days of Walter
Croncite on the black and
white.
I would assume there's
source of a camera or
motion sensor involved?
And if it is a camera?
What else is being observed?
They're probably
laughing their asses off
as to what may occur
in front of my TV.
Of course, I'm completely
innocent.....
How the hell do they kow
I'm no longer in front of it?

Last edited:
Still freaks me out. Grew up
in the days of Walter
Croncite on the black and
white.
I would assume there's
source of a camera or
motion sensor involved?
And if it is a camera?
What else is being observed?
They're probably
laughing their asses off
as to what may occur
in front of my TV.
Of course, I'm completely
innocent.....
How the hell do they kow
I'm no longer in front of it?
It's a timer thing. After a certain timeframe, if there's been no input from you (via the remote), it triggers
the auto response and then eventually shuts the service down.

It's a timer thing. After a certain timeframe, if there's been no input from you (via the remote), it triggers
Wonder if there's a motion detector or a camera in your TV. A few years ago somebody didn't know some TV's have cameras.

Your modern TV *is* listening to you. If you have a so-called "smart TV", those have voice activation so you can speak commands to your TV. What do you think happens with all the audio those microphones capture? It gets sent to some server somewhere and does God-knows-what with the data. I always disable this feature.

Yes, it is. In fact, any 'smart' device is, including your toaster... samsung - interestingly the worst offender - essentially admits this if you dig deep enough in their writings ...
Look deep and you will find 'back doors' programmed into any 'smart' device, and it is by govt fiat. You can 'disable' the option on your tube, but that will not shut off its capability. And your celphone?!? Dont get me started...

We haven't even mentioned Amazon Alexa, Siri, Google Assistant, etc...any "free service" that listens and takes commands from users is doing a whole lot more than they realize.

This is the price you pay for laziness and convenience these days...giving up your privacy.

On our laptops and tv's, there is a strip of tape over the built in cameras. Been doing this for many years.

It goes into this mode whenever I leave the room.

On our laptops and tv's, there is a strip of tape over the built in cameras. Been doing this for many years.
Thanks, but I've checked from stem to stern and can't seem
to locate it.

Your modern TV *is* listening to you. If you have a so-called "smart TV", those have voice activation so you can speak commands to your TV. What do you think happens with all the audio those microphones capture? It gets sent to some server somewhere and does God-knows-what with the data. I always disable this feature.
Disable does not remove, and they do not need your permission. Huzzah, patriot act! And as if china cares about our laws anyway.

You should look up Amazon Sidewalk. And not the MSM or google answers for it.
In short: if it has blue tooth, it will transmit whatever TF they want to a place it can get to the internet and send info back to the motherland. So any smart device, your car with it's back up camera, whatever. Nieghbor next door have a smart fridge? Your cars camera can be viewed if they want by using this network. It is as close to big brother as they have come yet.
Driving down the interstate? The guy in front/behind with a camera will have those images sent to his phone to go out to the ether. Your camera images can transmit to that guys phone. Your camera cantransmit to the guys phone going past you in the left lane. Or into his car's radio, and then sent view sat. radio antenna.
Oh and blue tooth is basically radio, so it's transmit distance is basically determined by its available power source.

You are being listened to, and watched. If they feel like it.

Here is a picture of my MacBookAir and one of our Vizio tv's. Just below my thumb is some electric tape over the web cam. Tv has blue tape covering its camera in the outer frame.

IMG_5237.jpeg

IMG_5238.jpeg

late 90's, early 2000, my wife worked at a state run female inmate honor camp. Many of the occupants were in there for identity theft, mail theft, drugs of course etc. Even then they could get personal info off of magazine labels, shipping labels etc. Torn up or pasta shredded credit card applications didn't deter them. On those, they would tape them back together, submit them and have them accepted to get cards which you got to pay and fight the bogus charges with the CC company who shouldn't have even accepted the taped together form. Many, many more tales like this. Since then, we stay as vigilant as possible with our personal info. She passed this insight to some of our relatives so they could be aware. A few of them blew her off, then paid the price when they had to go through identity theft hits. Our shredder is one that does crosscut, which makes small bits of confetti. One thing she does have though which chimes in sometimes at weird moments is one of the Google assist units. That thing bugs us both, especially considering the company it came from. She likes to use it for timers, music and to ask questions some times. We don't have any smart appliances, controls etc. I'm sure some lazy whizz kid can still figure out ways in to things, but we'll make them work for it.

late 90's, early 2000, my wife worked at a state run female inmate honor camp. Many of the occupants were in there for identity theft, mail theft, drugs of course etc. Even then they could get personal info off of magazine labels, shipping labels etc. Torn up or pasta shredded credit card applications didn't deter them. On those, they would tape them back together, submit them and have them accepted to get cards which you got to pay and fight the bogus charges with the CC company who shouldn't have even accepted the taped together form. Many, many more tales like this. Since then, we stay as vigilant as possible with our personal info. She passed this insight to some of our relatives so they could be aware. A few of them blew her off, then paid the price when they had to go through identity theft hits. Our shredder is one that does crosscut, which makes small bits of confetti. One thing she does have though which chimes in sometimes at weird moments is one of the Google assist units. That thing bugs us both, especially considering the company it came from. She likes to use it for timers, music and to ask questions some times. We don't have any smart appliances, controls etc. I'm sure some lazy whizz kid can still figure out ways in to things, but we'll make them work for it.
We have a fire pit where all
that stuff gets burned.
Even with location turned off
on my phone, google still
tracks where I go around
town. If I go to Walmart I
start getting a rash of
Walmart adds. So I no
longer take my phone with
me.

It's space people monitoring our habits to update their agenda.

ITS A COOKBOOK!

Oops! I may have just dated myself?

I have no Google on my iPhone, that I know of. I save 99+% of my surfing for the laptop and even then, only if I'm home or in a hotel room. I limit phone surfing in public as I don't want any dirtbags infiltrating.

Auto Transport Service
Back