• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does a 68 Charger SE Exist?

Local time
4:12 PM
Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

I'm hoping a charger expert can help me. I'm trying to learn about the A47 - SE option. I can find it on the 69 charger, but not the 68. Also how would the vin read for a SE Charger? (It looks like it's an XP29, where P is for Premium if it follows the other model lines). What about an RT/SE. It looks to be an XS29 vin. Same as the RT vin. So how can you know if the RT is also an SE? Is it only thru the fender tag? (ie if someone adds the woodgrain dash, console, steering wheel, it doesn't make it an SE. So how can you know? And was an SE available on a 68 Charger? I can't find any in my research. Appreciate the assist.
Thomas in Calif...

0000.jpg

I don't know if the SE package was available on a 68 charger, but if it was it would not be shown in the VIN. All chargers in 68 except for the R/T started with XP. The SE code would be on the build sheet and maybe the fender tag, but it would not be A47 in 1968. It would be a three number code, not alpha-numeric.

Does not exist. No designated SE pkg for 1968 Chargers, so that is why you cannot find information on such.

Coronet 4 door cars got the SE package in 1967. The Charger didn't get the SE package until 1969.

First year for the SE package on the Charger was 69, as mentioned by many others above.

Coronet 4 door cars got the SE package in 1967. The Charger didn't get the SE package until 1969.
There was also an SE option for the '66 Coronet. I bought a nice parts car in the 90's for $500. It was a 4dr 500 with paisley seat covers.

I don't know if the SE package was available on a 68 charger, but if it was it would not be shown in the VIN. All chargers in 68 except for the R/T started with XP. The SE code would be on the build sheet and maybe the fender tag, but it would not be A47 in 1968. It would be a three number code, not alpha-numeric.
Thank you for the response. My mopar mind is now ready to consume more content....

My kid brother owned one back in '69 or '70. I had to change the power steering box in it for him back then.

Auto Transport Service
Back