• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

drip rail trim....... vinyl top vs non-vinyl top

eldubb440

more miracles than Jesus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:28 PM
Reaction score
can the non vinyl trim be used with vinyl?

is the difference that much?

I need them for a vinyl top car......I found a nice polished set, not sure if they are for vinyl; but assume I can make it work either way

I assume vinyl top trim with out the top may be a loose fit, but can be tightened up any number of ways

but this situation is opposite; I have possible work arounds in my head........ am I over thinking it? this is for 66-67 ........ thanks

From what I was told the trim is different. I would think going from vinyl to not it would work. Going the other way I think it would be a problem. I could be wrong.

I only have one vinyl top 67 and it's basically a survivor so I'm not going to take a piece off to check. I will try to look it up in the 67 parts book, but I'm not very good at that although I do have the book.

I measured both a long time back and posted the two widths somewhere... but can't seem to find where. Thinking it was about 38thou different. 68/69/70 that is..

I removed the vinyl from my 67 and painted the roof. The trim was very loose afterwards. I ran some water proof tape along the outside of the drip rail. End of problem.

other than not looping the vinyl over the drip rail; anyone have any tricks for fitting non-vinyl trim on a vinyl top car?

I'm not sure about the 66-67 models, but my 68 Coronet there’s a difference. When I removed them, I ended up damaging the passenger side. Fortunately, a friend gave me a replacement. After installing my vinyl top, the driver's side wouldn't roll properly, and I noticed a significant difference between the non vinyl and vinyl prices. The passenger side fit perfectly, though, then it dawned on me.

Auto Transport Service
Back