• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dropping steering column

docepc

Local time
4:42 AM
Reaction score
Trying to drop my steering column on my 72 Satellite. Removed 2 nuts under plastic spacers under column and one bolt under plastic spacer below that buts still not dropping. What am I missing? Thx for the help in advance.

Did ya loosen the 3 on the firewall?

There are two side by side on the column that you have loosened, but IIRC, there is one more about 5" or so back, and higher up into the dashboard on one side or the other.

Untitled.jpg

There are two side by side on the column that you have loosened, but IIRC, there is one more about 5" or so back, and higher up into the dashboard on one side or the other.

View attachment 1685367
Yes, I removed the 2 side by side and the one further back on the one side of the column. I will loosen the bolts on the firewall and see if that works. Thank you.

If it is column shift, be careful. Chock the wheels. When you drop the column, it could easily pop out of Park. At the very least, put on the parking brake.
Don't ask me how I know this........

If it is column shift, be careful. Chock the wheels. When you drop the column, it could easily pop out of Park. At the very least, put on the parking brake.
Don't ask me how I know this........
It is column shift. Lol thanks for the advice will chock the wheels.

It is column shift. Lol thanks for the advice will chock the wheels.
I have a great recommendation for just what you are doing...Procure an FSM...Factory Service Manual!!! It is an almost required tool for our old rides and is a go-to for just what you are doing. The pic added in post #3, is what will be contained in it and cover any and all disassembly and re-assembly. cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

Auto Transport Service
Back