• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Easy Torsion Bar Boot Install

SeabeckRedneck

Local time
1:19 AM
Reaction score
While putting larger torsion bars on my 1970 B body it looked like the boots looked too small. Even after adding grease, I couldn't push them on by hand. So I found a plastic plumbing connector that is the exact diameter of the torsion bar (point to point). It is the beige piece in the photos. With the correct socket sizes and my vice, I was able to press the plumbing piece into the boot. Then I held the socket against the boot after slipping the large diameter over the torsion bar and just grabbed the torsion bar and pressed it forward against a socket. The socket just pushed the boot right onto the torsion bar! No wrestling or fighting.
I hope this helps someone.

Parts.jpg

Stacking order.jpg

General idea.jpg

All 4 pieces together.jpg

4 pieces in the vice, ready to squeeze.jpg

Boot pressed over the adapter (plumbing piece).jpg

Using a socket to press the boot off the adapter onto the torsion bar (red).jpg

Assembly on the red torsion bar, ready to slide off the adapter onto the torsion bar.jpg

With little effort, the boot slides right onto the torsion bar!.jpg

Excellent presentation - not to mention, clever execution - much appreciate your efforts to share this. :thumbsup:

Not like any boot I've ever seen. The boots on mine go on the frame end, not the LCA end.

Great tip
I did something similar with a stack of sockets that I taped together. Last one was the size of the torsion bar end. The poly boots slid on fairly easily.
20240330_102307.jpg
20240330_102539.jpg

While putting larger torsion bars on my 1970 B body it looked like the boots looked too small. Even after adding grease, I couldn't push them on by hand. So I found a plastic plumbing connector that is the exact diameter of the torsion bar (point to point). It is the beige piece in the photos. With the correct socket sizes and my vice, I was able to press the plumbing piece into the boot. Then I held the socket against the boot after slipping the large diameter over the torsion bar and just grabbed the torsion bar and pressed it forward against a socket. The socket just pushed the boot right onto the torsion bar! No wrestling or fighting.
I hope this helps someone.

View attachment 1716533

View attachment 1716534

View attachment 1716535

View attachment 1716536

View attachment 1716537

View attachment 1716538

View attachment 1716539

View attachment 1716540

View attachment 1716541
Thanks for the idea.
OR you let the boot sit in a container of HOT water long enough to soften it up.

Get a small plastic kitchen funnel and trim the large end to just slightly bigger than the t-bar.

Auto Transport Service
Back