• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric fan option

GTXDAN

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:57 PM
Reaction score
I was needing a fan to mount on the rad on my engine run stand. I did some research on the interweb and saw where some people were running fans used on Crown Vics and Fusions on their resto mods, so off to the local pull a part I went. The few Crown Vics I found had been stripped of pretty much everything usable. There were several Fusions but it appears they all have dual fans which didn't appeal to me, and on top of that you needed a contortionist to get to the hardware holding those fans in place.
So I left the furd section and wondered over to where some of ma's best were resting. After gazing at minivans, jeeps, chrysler 200s, 300s, chargers and every other model they produced for the last 20 years I came across a 2009 Dodge Journey. It had the typical 4 banger mounted crossways, but it had lots of room between the engine and rad. There mounted on the shroud was a nice big electric fan with 4 mounting bolts and rubber isolators and the wiring harness with the relay mounted right next to the fan. I cut the wiring upstream of the relay and had the mounting bolts out in less than 2 minutes. I even tested it on a battery outside the office and it fired up like a 747 on takeoff. $23 later I'm the proud owner of a nice fan for my run stand.
As you see it would be easy to mount to one of those flat sheet metal shrouds that lots of people use on their rads. It measures about 20" across and moves a considerable amount of air, and even has rubber isolators for a good installation. I looked up the part number and it's used on 2009 - 2020 Journeys, so there's lots of them out there. Part # 68102119aa

DSC01864.JPG

Bought one of these when breaking in the cam on
a 440. Almost twice as many cfm's as the fan you
found, but about $30.00 more than what you paid
for your set-up.
Please don't take this the wrong way. There's just more
than one way to skin the proverbial cat.
It also helps with cooling the shop down when not
running break-ins, where yours is tied to use specific.

I was using an old squirrel cage fan that moves lots of air. Only issue is it was large, but did a great job of cooling my shop. I had put wheels on it so it was mobile but it was always in the road, so I mounted it on the wall so it was out of the way. It still works great in my shop and for $23 I now have a permanent fan on my run stand.

The more cfm moved the better,
most of the (14" to 16" or so) single Spawl type nylon/plastic fans,
only move like 1,600cfm - 2,000cfm
that's only good to 'maybe 225-250hp' it's OK for running a short time
but not in traffic or such
you need a min. of 3,000+ cfm for every 300+hp, you need 3,000+cfm

anyway carry on cool idea too, especially for only $23

Auto Transport Service
Back