• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electrical problem, wiper switch

mpro69rr

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:16 AM
Reaction score
Bought a new 3 speed wiper switch because I thought the other one had problems, when I plugged it in and tried to use it I would get a shock. Well the new one is doing the same thing. When the whole bar with the switches was leaning on the steering wheel I could see a little blue spark every time I turned on the wiper switch. On the old switch it melted the pink wire a little, I have since put black tape on that part but still get shocked. This is a brand new wiring harness, I don't understand why this is happening. All the other switches are fine. I have the grounding wire underneath the steering wheel hooked up. Does anyone have a clue what's going on?

Last edited:
Any one have any ideas?

Could it be a "dead short" in the wiper motor?
They're a bugger to remove, but if you can get your hands on another wiper motor, you could connect it electrically ans
d see if the problem persists. I know they don't give those away, the wiring harness couldn't have been cheap and they are a bother to replace. You shouldn't risk the harness if you know its good and for your year.
Unlikely that the washer motor is the problem, but be sure to unplug it to remove it from the equation.

Could it be a "dead short" in the wiper motor?
They're a bugger to remove, but if you can get your hands on another wiper motor, you could connect it electrically ans
d see if the problem persists. I know they don't give those away, the wiring harness couldn't have been cheap and they are a bother to replace. You shouldn't risk the harness if you know its good and for your year.
Unlikely that the washer motor is the problem, but be sure to unplug it to remove it from the equation.

Good idea, I'll unplug the wiper motor from the bulk head. Thanks. I'm also going to run a wire from the switch to ground, see if that works.

Last edited:
Little known fact, both the wiper motor (case) and the wiper switch itself needs to be grounded. It hast to do with how things are wired (the wiper motor reverses itself when turned off-goes to park.)

Little known fact, both the wiper motor (case) and the wiper switch itself needs to be grounded. It hast to do with how things are wired (the wiper motor reverses itself when turned off-goes to park.)

That's what I thought. I'm going to run a wire from the switch to ground on the steering column, that's grounded.

That's what I thought. I'm going to run a wire from the switch to ground on the steering column, that's grounded.

OK, I ran a wire from the switch to the steering column for ground. I turned on the wipers and no shock! Could it have been that simple, is it fixed?

Now that is interesting.... Didn't remember a ground on my two speed wiper switch so I compared the two and three speed diagrams in the FSM. Sure enough, the three speed is grounded and the two speed is not. Of course, the motors are totally different. :drinks:

One would think that ground would be provided via a metal strap in the dash mounting hole.

Auto Transport Service
Back