• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine block id.

Nick ciavarino

Local time
4:33 PM
Reaction score
Hi Everyone Can someone please help me with these casting numbers.D/S 2406730-1 WITH RL BENEATH 7/30 63.P/S 2406730-1 LETTERS BENEATH.THANKS

20240627_110016.jpg

20240627_105225.jpg

I didn't gruugle up the # but RL should be raised, larger bore no? 426?
You could just post the number pad up top

The mold for the block is made by packing sand around a casting core that was made from several pieces of hardwood called "plugs". The abrasive nature of the sand made the individual plugs wear out from repeated use so, instead of scrapping the whole core, they would replace only the worn plug and each replaced plug was updated by the dash number. This was explained in an article in one of the Mopar magazines years ago.

The subject block's casting core only had one core plug replaced so it got a -1 The highest number I've seen reported was 13. There is a standing belief that the more plugs that were replaced, the more likelihood of "core shift". Never proven AFAIK

Last edited:
The mold for the block is made by packing sand around a casting core that was made from several pieces of hardwood called "plugs". The abrasive nature of the sand made the individual plugs wear out from repeated use so, instead of scrapping the whole core, they would replace only the worn plug and each replaced plug was updated by the dash number. This was explained in an article in one of the Mopar magazines years ago.

The subject block's casting core only had one core plug replaced so it got a -1 The highest number I've seen reported was 13. There is a standing belief that the more plugs that were replaced, the more likelihood of "core shift". Never proven AFAIK
You're close...

Cores are routinely repaired as needed. I used to haul casting patterns between GM and their outside pattern shops to be repaired. Stamping dies, too.

But the cast-in numbers are ID's for the cores so they can identify issues they may have during production runs at the foundry.

If the Trenton engine plant was seeing core shift when boring -5 engine blocks they can go back and correct the issue at the foundry.

Same if the lifter bores are shifted and the machine tools are not in line with the lifter bores on -7 blocks...

I've been trying to explain this for years but Thack has done a much better job of 'splaining it than I ever did.

I posted this info in another post today.

One of my sons works at the largest grey iron in the US. They use a similar ID system on some of the larger parts they produce.

Last edited:
You're close...

Cores are routinely repaired as needed. I used to haul casting patterns between GM and their outside pattern shops to be repaired. Stamping dies, too.

But the cast-in numbers are ID's for the cores so they can identify issues they may have during production runs at the foundry.

If the Trenton engine plant was seeing core shift when boring -5 engine blocks they can go back and correct the issue at the foundry.

I'm not going to beleaguer this but we're basically saying the same thing i.e. the patterns (or casting cores) were sent to outside pattern shops to be repaired and they were repaired by changing the individual core plugs in the core, only my version states a reason for that particular number being assigned to that specific pattern/core.

each replaced plug was updated by the dash number.

The subject block's casting core only had one core plug replaced so it got a -1 The highest number I've seen reported was 13.

I'm not going to beleaguer this but we're basically saying the same thing i.e. the patterns (or casting cores) were sent to outside pattern shops to be repaired and they were repaired by changing the individual core plugs in the core, only my version states a reason for that particular number being assigned to that specific pattern/core.
According to the video posted, each pattern was assigned a #.
The # did not corelate to the amount of repairs made to said pattern.
Very good video dispelling older information. A new leaf of data , so to speak.

Auto Transport Service
Back