• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust Manifold Painted Engine Color

rklewis1005

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:52 PM
Reaction score
All, I'm reading through the ICCA Restoration and Judging Guidelines Reference Manual by David Wise (fun reading). I'm not looking to be uber-crazy about dip lines, overspray on undercoating, etc; however, I want to get the colors and textures correct or very close. For engine colors, it indicates the exhaust manifolds are painted the engine color (street hemi orange for my 1970 Charger / 383 4 barrel). I don't ever recall seeing orange exhaust headers. Is it because it burns off fast and only leaves some orange around the mounts? If so, it seems like a waste of time.

PXL_20240920_132220660.jpg

If you ever watch Graveyard cars Mark Worman paints the exhaust manifolds. But they end up cast color shortly after running the engine. I suppose the bolt hole tabs and the nuts probably remain painted but the majority of the surface the paint burns off. You can just skip to the last 5 minutes of this video.

If you ever watch Graveyard cars Mark Worman paints the exhaust manifolds. But they end up cast color shortly after running the engine. I suppose the bolt hole tabs and the nuts probably remain painted but the majority of the surface the paint burns off. You can just skip to the last 5 minutes of this video.

Thanks - that's a lot of orange for the first few minutes. I don't mind that they'd burn off, but then they turn brownish over time. Wondering if I could use something like XTC from KBS in Cast Iron Grey to color then and then just "overspray" some orange around the mounts/bolts to keep them looking cast iron.

Thanks - that's a lot of orange for the first few minutes. I don't mind that they'd burn off, but then they turn brownish over time. Wondering if I could use something like XTC from KBS in Cast Iron Grey to color then and then just "overspray" some orange around the mounts/bolts to keep them looking cast iron.
That’s what I did

Auto Transport Service
Back