• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

exhaust shop is suggestion delta flow 50 serries or 18in Magna flow 3inch exhaust help lol

james133

Local time
12:40 AM
Reaction score
My build is finaly coming to an end need to chose between flowmaster or magnaflow

exhaust shop is suggestion delta flow 50 serries or 18in Magna flow 3inch exhaust

its a 1969 charger with 440 .....engine has been rebuilt a now a 512 stroker tti headers

shops says flow master 40 series would be to loud and people get tired of it

I mean i want it loud but i also want to be able to hear my radio inside the car car

between these to suggestions what are people experience

I would go with the magnaflow my buddy has them on his GTX with a 528 hemi and they sound great not to loud but not quite

I've purchased Dynomax Ultraflo's with the correct dimensions to fit with the TTI header back exhaust I'm planning. Even if I don't go TTI, I'm still using the mufflers since I like the medium volume and straight through design. Heard some not so great things about Flowmaster costing HP, I don't have the details but apparently there have been tests to prove it.

I bet they recommend those to a lot of people. Lots of profit in flowmaster and magnaflow. I feel like those two options are almost extreme opposites, where is the middle ground?

I’m a big fan of the Ultraflo by Dynomax, I have it on modern vehicles and old Mopars. But I’m also of the belief that exhaust is a very personal choice. You might have to try a few mufflers before you find what you like. I know I did.

IMG_7687.jpeg

3" glass or steel packs. Cheaper and better sounding IMHO.

Look at Porter Mufflers...custom made to your specs

I don't think you would be happy with 3"x18" magnaflows.
At 40 mph I don't think you could hear anything but a wicked drone.

I have both, sorta.
I have 22"case 3" straight thru magnaflows on my Opel. Good sound, pretty quiet, considering the 454 in front of em.
I have 53550's big block flowmasters on my 62. Quiet for a 3.5" system, but I have full 3.5 tailpipes too.
I LOVE the sound of my flowmasters. They have no drone, but frankly, they are HUGE.... and way too much money now. ($250 ea! Wtf?)

If I was doing the 62 system over, right now? Dynomax ultraflows, in the same pipe size as the collector.... unless it's four inches or something (I do have a pair of bbm headers with a four inch collector, WAY too big for a 440)

IF you want flowmasters.... Get THREE chamber version!

Other alternatives: Hooker aero flow, or something from Jones exhaust, from summit. Jones makes an Amazing variety, including stainless at very good prices.
I ran nine second laps with a n/a small block car thru hooker 3.5" aero's.

Last edited:
I use the cheap Summit Knockoffs of Flowmasters.
A fraction of the cost and sound quality is identical!
Never tried any others but the car runs 10's thru them (Mild
440) so they seem to work perfect.

I've run straights since the mid 70's and well.....it's loud out the back and have shut down more than a few aholes with the boom box crap and it's nothing like waking up the jerks sleeping as the first car at a traffic light that has a cell phone up their butt lol. A straight pipe system will quiet down some with crimps in the pipe if it's too loud which doesn't affect flow. Boundary air flow isn't affected by the crimps and never got a ticket in the 50 years of running straights......

After having resonators for the first time in an old mopar, I will never ever run one again without them. I’d look up that flow chart that is floating around the web, including in my exhaust post. I went with the super turbos as those have a great flow rate. I’ve had them before and had drone, like always. No matter what, I’ve had to deal with drone with every muffler I’ve had behind a big block, which is quite a few different ones.

I would look at ultraflows and add a resonator. The Vibrant can version fit and worked well on my GTX. I have zero drone for first time in thirty years of fooling with these cars.

TTI 3” exhaust with Delta 50’s. The first is idling (cold) from outside the car, the other is normal driving with a GoPro inside of the car…

Another vote for Dynomax Ultra Flows. Straight through design, welded seams, and they are quiet at cruise speed in 3".

Auto Transport Service
Back