• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

External vs. Internal Regulator

Doorkicker

Local time
6:37 PM
Reaction score
Just an opinion poll really... but what are the technical reasons to use an external voltage regular as opposed to having an alternator with an internal regulator?

Down side of internal regulator is..
When it goes bad U need to change out the more expensive alternator..

Just my $0.02.... :thumbsup:

Internal seems to work fine, but I think more of a constant output voltage without temperature compensation?

I have been running a GM one wire internal alternator for years with no issues and that is with 2 electric fans, huge electric fuel pump, Racepak and everything else. Including lights on the street.

My one wire alternator works fine also, just make sure the alternator output to battery is running a good size wire.
Newer cars have a temp sensor in the battery tray so the regulator can optimize the charging voltage, but car batteries are pretty tolerant of different charge voltages per battery temperature.

Auto Transport Service
Back