• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally got the Charger painted

tmaleck

Local time
1:54 AM
Reaction score
I posted this on Charger.com, but I wanted to post it here for those following along at home. Anyway, I decided to go ahead and paint the car. We found an amazing amount of badness hiding under that hideous paint. There was never a solid answer as to what happened to the first paint job, but it left a dragon skin texture when the top of the color coat was sanded off. Turns out a bondo scraper took off most of the bad paint. The roof, dutchman, trunk lid and right fender all had to be reworked. The trunk lid looked like they dropped golf balls on it. Anyway, we ended up using Hustlin' green from The Spray Source, as HoK was unable to supply all the Shimirin II materials after 2 months of waiting. The price was right, so we tried it. Turns out it's pretty decent stuff, spray out is nice with good coverage.
Anyway, it turned out great, even before color sanding. We're hoping to get this done in the next 6 weeks or so. Here's a few photos of the progress.

confetti paint.jpg

left front sanded.jpg

left quarter stripped.jpg

Resized_20240219_101458_1708528988567.jpg

right door stripped.jpg

right front stripped.jpg

right quarter stripped.jpg

fender.jpg

hood.jpg

right 3_4.jpg

Wow! That looks beautiful! I like the flake… my Charger is an original F8. Way too many cars from my youth in that color. But that I dig! :)

That’s a cool color choice. It must look amazing in the sun. More pics when you get it there!

Very nice! Who did the paint?
Curious becase I am also in the Austin area.

I would also like to invite you to my fb page, where we have LOTS of Central Texas members.
It's called TDMP-Them Damn Mopar People!

I would also like to invite you to my fb page, where we have LOTS of Central Texas members.
Johnathon at ATX Classic Restorations. It's down south by me on Menchaca near the Texican. He's not the fastest, but he's had to fix a of bad stuff along the way. But we've still got a ways to go. Thanks for the invite I'll check it out.

That colour really looks good on there. Kind of the stock GG1 but with extra pop.

That colour really looks good on there. Kind of the stock GG1 but with extra pop.
It was green from the factory, and I wanted to stay close to that. I saw a similar color on another Charger a long time ago and really liked it. I think with the white top and bumblebee stripe it'll really stand out.

Johnathon at ATX Classic Restorations. It's down south by me on Menchaca near the Texican. He's not the fastest, but he's had to fix a of bad stuff along the way. But we've still got a ways to go. Thanks for the invite I'll check it out.
I'm not exactly central but SE is close enough.....and I like that green!! :)

I am not particularly a green car person, but I bet that paint is going to look amazing in the bright sunshine.

Gorgeous shade of green you chose! Another original F8 olive green metallic car here, and also not a fan of it. Nice to see another Charger wearing a pretty new green dress! My choice of green was Jet Green Metallic, a Porsche Cayenne color.

Interesting that you mentioned going with a white roof and bee stripe...back when I was young and naive, I had my car painted (after some shoddy bodywork with tons of Bondo) emerald green, close to your color but less flake. I asked them to dye the original olive green roof to white, and paint a white bee stripe. They screwed up and did a single black stripe straight across the decklid after dyeing the roof white. It looked terrible. I later had the roof re-done with black vinyl and the original white interior is going to be all black when I'm done.

I think a white roof and stripe will look really nice and stand out...looking forward to it!

ChargerDoneAndDelivered.jpg

ChargerBackHome.jpg

ValanceSunlight1.jpg

ValanceSunlight2.jpg

Last edited:
Gorgeous shade of green you chose! Another original F8 olive green metallic car here, and also not a fan of it. Nice to see another Charger wearing a pretty new green dress! My choice of green was Jet Green Metallic, a Porsche Cayenne color.

Interesting that you mentioned going with a white roof and bee stripe...back when I was young and naive, I had my car painted (after some shoddy bodywork with tons of Bondo) emerald green, close to your color but less flake. I asked them to dye the original olive green roof to white, and paint a white bee stripe. They screwed up and did a single black stripe straight across the decklid after dyeing the roof white. It looked terrible. I later had the roof re-done with black vinyl and the original white interior is going to be all black when I'm done.

I think a white roof and stripe will look really nice and stand out...looking forward to it!

View attachment 1684745

View attachment 1684746

View attachment 1684747

View attachment 1684748
If I had it to do over again, I'd probably have gone with a color similar to yours. Looks really nice and is probably easier to maintain. I got fixated on House of Kolor, since I've been using it since the 90's. Since Valspar bought them, quality and service have gone to ****. We waited months for the basecoat hardner, and finally gave up and went with The Spray Source, who had an almost identical match to the Organic green from HoK. Your paint looks great, and I bet you didn't have to deal with all the Kandy ground, color and clear coat BS. I was after a daily driver and built a trailer queen wannabe.

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably have gone with a color similar to yours. Looks really nice and is probably easier to maintain. I got fixated on House of Kolor, since I've been using it since the 90's. Since Valspar bought them, quality and service have gone to ****. We waited months for the basecoat hardner, and finally gave up and went with The Spray Source, who had an almost identical match to the Organic green from HoK. Your paint looks great, and I bet you didn't have to deal with all the Kandy ground, color and clear coat BS. I was after a daily driver and built a trailer queen wannabe.
Thanks...my body man is purely a Sikkens guy. The Jet Green Metallic is just a metallic + clear, but for the stripe, I wanted Verde Selvans, a Lambo lime green color. It's a 3-stage though with a lime pearl coat, greenish-gold pearl coat then clear. The pics really don't do it justice. I can't even back the car out of the garage into the sun because my driveway is sloped and the car doesn't run yet...I need to install fuel tank, fuel lines, rebuild the carb, then prep for a first start in over 12 years...

Here's a couple with the color sand and buff on the hood. Can't wait to see the whole car polished.
20240628_113440.jpg
20240628_094717.jpg
20240628_094711.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back