• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fireball 500 cars

Mike Szadaj

Local time
11:46 PM
Reaction score
The movie Fireball 500 just ended. Made in 1966 with Frankie Avalon, Annette Funicello, and Fabian. Frankie drives around in a George Barris customized Charger. The final part of the movie is the Daytona 500 race. Frankie Avalon is driving a Petty blue Plymouth numbered 43. Fabian is also driving a Plymouth. When these cars pull into the pits, One car says on the hood 404 CI. The other reads 405 CI. I am wondering if Plymouth actually ran those size engines in NASCAR or if this was just something done for the movie.

IMG_3253.jpeg

IMG_3254.jpeg

From what I've researched,
there were no 400 cid
engines used in NASCAR
since it's inception.
I would say the numbers
depicted on the car hoods
in that movie shyed away
from any recogniseable
manufacturers numbers
without prior permission
and maybe any royalties
involved, but still making
them seem to be period
correct.
With Mopars 426 and Fords
429, the 426 was allowed
to run due it's earlier
production years. The 429
won exactly 1 more race
in NASCAR sanctioned
events in lower classes.
The 429 was designed for
NASCAR Cup competition
but not allowed to run in
that series in a Mustang,
but only after creating their
own version of the hemi-
spherical head design that
Mopar is famous for.
The Semi-Hemi.

Last edited:
I think Chrysler dabbled with those sizes in 65 when NASCAR wanted to let others win the first time. They carried the destroker pistons, cranks and rods in their parts programs to support the racers for a few years. Probably they didn't sell any of the parts after the 426 inchers were finally given the go ahead.
In 65 you'll also see some long wheelbase Fury circle jerk cars as well because the longer wheelbases were allowed the Hemis for awhile when the shorter B-bodies weren't allowed the Hemis. NASCAR and NHRA were never happy when Chrysler dominated and were not above giving special favors to let GM win.

I think Chrysler dabbled with those sizes in 65 when NASCAR wanted to let others win the first time. They carried the destroker pistons, cranks and rods in their parts programs to support the racers for a few years. Probably they didn't sell any of the parts after the 426 inchers were finally given the go ahead.
In 65 you'll also see some long wheelbase Fury circle jerk cars as well because the longer wheelbases were allowed the Hemis for awhile when the shorter B-bodies weren't allowed the Hemis. NASCAR and NHRA were never happy when Chrysler dominated and were not above giving special favors to let GM win.
They still today are penalizing Chrysler in every aspect of racing. Kim

Auto Transport Service
Back