• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Firewall clearance??

Bick

Local time
9:09 AM
Reaction score
Hello everyone! This will be my first post since joining the group back in ‘21. I’ve benefited immensely from being a member while working on my old ‘72 charger (which has gone on to a new home) and gathering parts for my new project, a ‘69 charger that is currently getting a 6.4 hemi swap with tr6060. Most issues I’ve been able to resolve so far but I do have one currently that has me pausing before I continue on.

For those who have used the QA1 k member (torsion bar delete and rack and pinion steering option), was it necessary to clearance the firewall just under the wiper motor mounting point? The hemi has a small electronic box (I’m assuming it’s air mixture related) that is not allowing me to position the engine as it’s hitting just under the wiper motor bulge on the firewall. Before I cut to clearance, I was hoping someone had experience here…..I don’t want to cut the firewall if there is another workaround. Oh, I have all the washers on the motor mounts stacked at the rear so the engine sits as far forward as possible on the mounts.

Thanks for reading and to all that I’ve looked to for advice and support in through the years, thanks again!!!

Bick

IMG_5138.jpeg

Not sure but you are probably dealing with the MAP sensor. I don't have any help for you but I had a similar issue with installing a 6.1 in my Charger. The MAP sensor was not a problem and mine is different from yours but I remember the vacuum port had to be altered some because of firewall clearance. Hopefully someone that has dealt with the 6.4 will have some input.

100_6821.JPG

The thread The Roach 1970 Charger had to cut firewall in that area. Search "The Roach" Did it for you. The Roach

What are you using for engine management? Maybe that sensor can be eliminated.

Im using the MP Performance management system for the 6.4 hemi swap from Bouchillion Performance. Good thought sixpactogo, I may even call Bouchillion to see what they think.
I met a guy at Carlisle that did the swap using the same components with the exception of the QA1 K member and he had to clearance a bit of his firewall in the same location….im just trying to cover all bases before I cut into my firewall…..its the only piece of sheet metal on my car that I haven’t had to cut/fix!!

I used Bouchillon back in 2015 for my swap. I had a few issues with the engine management back then. Randy kept wanting to tell me it was my wiring that was causing my high battery voltage. By the time I convinced him it was the computer operated voltage control he no longer will answer any of my calls. Hope you have better luck with him. He has what I call little dog syndrome. Hopefully you can delete and defeat that sensor. There are a ton of sensors not needed in an app like ours. The sensor causing all of my grief was a battery temp sensor that went into default mode and kept telling my computer that my battery temp was -45 F. It took the better part of a year to get that stupid sensor eliminated.

Exactly!

I’m going to open it up a bit and see if I can get just enough clearance. Apparently the offending bulk is a Short Runner Valve (SVR) only used on 6.4L according to Mopar. It has a connector built into the new harness so it’s gotta stay.

Thanks for the great pics sixpactogo!

Here’s mine!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Wonder if the QA1 torsion bar frame has the same issue? I’m considering the swap. Maybe a 1x4 or 2x4 intake might fit.

Spent the weekend making the clearance needed for the SVR and final welded all the brackets and USCT tunnel support. I also mocked up the SST clutch master and took measurements to have a SS braided hose made for the clutch. Next up is coating the undercarriage with Raptor liner then running some fuel and brake lines. Now it’s getting good

IMG_5233.jpeg

IMG_5232.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back