• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fitting a 42RH in a B-Body?

halfafish

Local time
7:52 AM
Reaction score
Something took a dump in the trans for my 72 Coronet wagon. I was out for a spin and all was well. Then trying to go from a stoplight, no motion at all. No noises, no slippage, it just stopped going in either direction.

My longterm plan was to put one of the overdrive units in the car anyway to replace the 904. Looks like the time may be now. Has anyone fit a 42RH in a similar car? Im wondering if there are any mods needed to fit it in.

72 B body is the same floor pan basically as an E body... It should fit with minimal problems... Trim the transmission case and leave the car body as is.... The fixturing tabs on the O/D need to be removed, the webbing near the speedometer has to be removed.. Driveshaft will need to be cut.. Shift linkage & kickdown linkage should bolt right up....

Excellent info, thanks! I have semi-capable fab skill but would probably get the USCT unit for simplicity's sake.

I'm thinking the 42 is about 1/2" shorter than the 46... The speedometer cable is ridiculously close with the 46... You might need to use a gps speedo or get really creative to run the cable..

shift control... .
Options for Overdrive Auto Trans - Ebody

Auto Transport Service
Back