• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel cell ?

19 69 GTX

Local time
11:43 AM
Reaction score
I have a fuel cell in my car and I'm having fuel issues. Seems to run out of fuel when I get into by the time I reach 3rd gear. I believe the foam in fuel cell has deteriorated some and is clogging pick up tube. I took my new filter off and found some of that foam in it. My question is this common and how do I remove the pick up tube. I'm sure there is a threaded nut inside tank that holds it tight. Any help is appreciated. It's a 22 gallon Jazz fuel cell.

20240729_135534.jpg

Once you pull the foam all your questions will be answered.

I have a fuel cell in my car and I'm having fuel issues. Seems to run out of fuel when I get into by the time I reach 3rd gear. I believe the foam in fuel cell has deteriorated some and is clogging pick up tube. I took my new filter off and found some of that foam in it. My question is this common and how do I remove the pick up tube. I'm sure there is a threaded nut inside tank that holds it tight. Any help is appreciated. It's a 22 gallon Jazz fuel cell.

View attachment 1702548
Foam could restrict fuel flow, but it's not clear why it starts in 3rd gear, Hp determines fuel flow, g forces fight fuel flow. Seems like your clogging issue would arise earlier. Is this a conventual carb no return set-up with a cell vent or a return?
Any traces of foam indicate either old foam, or incompatible fuel usage for the foam installed. Residue pieces found means every bit needs to be removed. I am a big believer in the right fuel cell foam usage.
Your filler flange is your likely access to the foam and your pickup. You might need to also back flush the lines.

Foam could restrict fuel flow, but it's not clear why it starts in 3rd gear, Hp determines fuel flow, g forces fight fuel flow. Seems like your clogging issue would arise earlier. Is this a conventual carb no return set-up with a cell vent or a return?
Any traces of foam indicate either old foam, or incompatible fuel usage for the foam installed. Residue pieces found means every bit needs to be removed. I am a big believer in the right fuel cell foam usage.
Your filler flange is your likely access to the foam and your pickup. You might need to also back flush the lines.

Tank is vented and the pump has a return to fuel tank where outlet line comes out. Barry Grant 400 pump

Tank is vented and the pump has a return to fuel tank where outlet line comes out. Barry Grant 400 pump
You know an undersized vent could also explain the issue you have mentioned, as it takes time to maybe suck enough fuel out of the cell that eventually creates too much of a vacuum for the pump to draw against by the time you hit 3rd gear. but that is a long shot, and you still have the foam issue.
Does vent have a turnover valve?

You know an undersized vent could also explain the issue you have mentioned, as it takes time to maybe suck enough fuel out of the cell that eventually creates too much of a vacuum for the pump to draw against by the time you hit 3rd gear. but that is a long shot, and you still have the foam issue.
Does vent have a turnover valve?
It's has a pretty big vent tube no rollover valve.

I've had to replace almost every component of my fuel system, in my silver car. The foam/slime blocked-up everything. It ended up costing a grand to fix my 3 grand worth of carbs, alone.
Removed the foam/washed out cell, changed filter assemblies, all the fuel lines front to rear, and still have to rebuild the regulator.

So I should probably remove foam and clean fuel cell and reuse it no foam

So I should probably remove foam and clean fuel cell and reuse it no foam
I don't dismiss one second all the problems others have had with foam. I suspect if we dug deeper, their problems would center on either bad fuel capability, old age, or cheap lousy foam. For me those issues are solvable, and the safety benefits of foam vs no foam are too great for me to pass up.

I don't dismiss one second all the problems others have had with foam. I suspect if we dug deeper, their problems would center on either bad fuel capability, old age, or cheap lousy foam. For me those issues are solvable, and the safety benefits of foam vs no foam are too great for me to pass up.
Yeah I'm almost thinking of going back to a fuel tank on car. It's a Hemi around 600hp I'd guess. Wonder if a good mechanical pump would keep up or if I should just go with fuel injection tank and a in tank pump.

Well tank was pretty clean really. What I did notice is the tank was installed with pickup tube towards front of car when obviously you would want it at the back since there isn't a baffle or sump it's in. During acceleration that could definitely starve it if fuel is less than half tank which it was.

Auto Transport Service
Back