• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got the 60/330 hesitation solved; Update, last night didn't either

dvw

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:21 PM
Reaction score
After last weekends stumble and hesitate fiasco. The fuel pump gave up. Installed the spare along with getting the original repaired. Pulled the carbs apart. They were fine, found nothing. I asked many knowledgable racers and tuners if they had ever seen a fuel pump cause this issue without affecting downtrack incremental times or mph. The answer was they hadn't ssen it. But posibly G-force at the leave held the fuel in the feed line (-10) from from getting to the front. Ran this weekend at Milan. Car was flawless. Best 60ft (by .001, lol) and 330ft times of the year. Had one of my best r/t of the year in rd 2, .007. Didn't help as my opponent was .005 dead .001. Both off the foot brake. Try again next week.
Doug

After last weekends stumble and hesitate fiasco. The fuel pump gave up. Installed the spare along with getting the original repaired. Pulled the carbs apart. They were fine, found nothing. I asked many knowledgable racers and tuners if they had ever seen a fuel pump cause this issue without affecting downtrack incremental times or mph. The answer was they hadn't ssen it. But posibly G-force at the leave held the fuel in the feed line (-10) from from getting to the front. Ran this weekend at Milan. Car was flawless. Best 60ft (by .001, lol) and 330ft times of the year. Had one of my best r/t of the year in rd 2, .007. Didn't help as my opponent was .005 dead .001. Both off the foot brake. Try again next week.
Doug
We are all rooting for you Doug!
Mike

Agree Doug. I was at the Mopar Nats this past weekend with racing friends and saw the same thing with my friends car on the launch. G force with a -12 feed line. At the launch the car went well until into the wheelie it was starving just slightly and would recover once it landed the front end. There was no bog however, so I'm betting his pump is failing? Increasing line pressure didn't help.

My pump is set at 30 psi going to the front. Only 5 psi at the carbs. I never even thought to watch the fuel pressure. It was fine inthe pits. It doesn't have a gauge on the feed side.
Doug

Maybe you could put a Hobbs switch at the carb that only has to activate a red light. My thought was that there might be too much mass involved for a pressure gage to show a momentary drop. But it would take nothing to light a bulb. Also then no fuel line into the drivers compartment.

Well tonight the pump improvement created another issue. The front bumper was 5 ft in the air crossing the 60 ft clocks. Hit 2nd gear, no change. By now its drifting yowards the wall. Had to dump it harder than I would've liked. The oil pan and the diaper are not happy. Got a drain pan stuffed under it in the trailer. Not all lost as i got to make some passes in my friends late model FSS/F Challenger. Ran ,97 and .98 under the class index. This was with the motor out his stocker with a far smaller can than is allowed.
Doug

Good thing I know a tig welder and am married to a seamstress.
Doug

10533.jpeg

10532.jpeg

10534.jpeg

10535.jpeg

WOW! You said it came down HARD! There's the proof!

Did you soil any underwear Doug?
Mike
Nope , I have enough runs not to get rattled when stuff goes wrong. If I'd been better I would've pushed 3rd gear. Couldn't see anything except out the side window and the wall was getting closer. Dumped it pretty quick. Chose the lesser of 2 evils.
Doug

Pan is repaired. Should've took more pics. Sides were bowed. Inner trap door wall for the swinging baffle was bent. Windage screen was bent from the side bowing. Some creative work with a 4x4, 2x4 got most of it. The tough part was under the tie rod tube and the front baffle which is welded in. Used a 1"x 4" block of aluminum with a cold chisel. The point of the chisel could be placed at an angle on the aluminum block. You could hit it hard and even though it was at a angle it dug in and didn't slip. Welded up 3 cracks. After a air check with soapy water found 2 pin holes in previous repairs. Ready to go together.
Doug

20240823_164620.jpg

20240823_164626.jpg

might be worth looking into 1 of these oil pans from moroso, same capacity with trap doors except 1 1/2 " higher..and dont forget the hockey pucks..

Moroso Street/Strip Oil Pans 20763​

1724548214887.png

It's odd how much the Moroso pan looks like the Milodon pan.
Mike
Yep Except it is differant in that on the passenger side the kickout is narrowed on the end to fit a 1963 plymouth crossmember after trimming away the lip Only with room to spare, they put some thought into this 1....so with the later crossmember installed on his car No problem fitting it.

IMG_1598.JPG

Mine can fit any pan as long as it clears the drag link.
Doug

0828111819a.jpg

0828111819.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back