• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grounding of Second Alternator Field Connection

boboh1

Local time
6:59 PM
Reaction score
From what I have read, the second field connection on a dual field alternator must be grounded in order to charge the battery correctly. Where would be the best place to run the ground wire? Can I just connect to the case of the alternator?

Squareback?
You can replace the isolation washer down the field prong with a metalic washer and won’t get a hanging wire around so will look cleaner

Cap the grounded prong if you do the replace washer method, just for safety, because get the wired field connected to that grounded prong by mistake, will short as soon you put the key in RUN… and there is no fuse on that circuit, aside the fuse link.

Roundback?
Check if you have the provision on housing for the native grounded brush. Some 70/71 alt cases still being roundback and set/build for dual field, kept the provision casted on rear housing for the single field wire setup.

1724048337866.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks. I have a new round back type made by PowerMaster. Will check the back to see.

If it does, is just about get the propper brush for that provision. Mostly sure you could remove your old one and reuse it.

1724088099260.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back