• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hanging a hood

Car #4

Local time
8:20 AM
Reaction score
I took the fibreglass hood of my 68 Charger and went back to the original steel hood. The fibreglass one had a big scoop on it and I wanted the original look. Now I want to hang the fibreglass one on the wall so I was thinking of making a bracket to hold the hood pins and hanging the hood by the pins. Will that be good enough or will it need more support than that?

Fibreglass is pretty strong material. As long as the hook is round so it does not stress crack the holes

I see a lot of guys hanging factory original steel hoods on some of those garage forums

All you see is the hood on the wall so obviously the hooks are back behind there somewhere

Always curious on how and what was used

I have seen a bolt on each side into a hood hinge bolt hole through a short length of chain, then the chain on each side. To a hook screwed to the wall

I have seen a bolt on each side into a hood hinge bolt hole through a short length of chain, then the chain on each side. To a hook screwed to the wall

That sounds like a good idea. I suppose I could jerry rig the hood pins to make it look like it's hung from them.

Two of these cut off with a 6 inch tail that I screwed to the wall. The Flat hooks go into the underside of hood where there are openings and left to hang. Works great! You can bend your own flat hoods out of flat stock.
flat hook.jpg

@Hey-O I like that idea but I can't find them. Where do you get those straps?

Any ideas/suggestions on how to make a rack that you can raise/lower so you can hoist it up beneath the trusses?
That's what I'd like to do.

@Hey-O I like that idea but I can't find them. Where do you get those straps?
To be fair, I got mine from work. Old racks that were used to send in car parts They had them on them to hold down these parts and made it possible for them to be reused. The racks were old and trashed, I stripped them out. This has two and that is all you would need. I cut them off leaving about 6 or so inches that I screwed into the wall. I had many of them , when I moved I throw them all away or I would send them to you free of charge.
https://www.uscargocontrol.com/prod...13672&utm_content=2" Flat Hook Ratchet Straps

Any ideas/suggestions on how to make a rack that you can raise/lower so you can hoist it up beneath the trusses?
That's what I'd like to do.
I did that first, it was easier to hang on the wall. I had 2x4's framed like a wall hanging flat about 6 inches down at the corners from the ceiling with short 2x4 legs attached to the ceiling trusses and slid the hood in like an envelope.

Last edited:
I did that first, it was easier to hang on the wall. I had 2x4's framed like a wall hanging flat about 6 inches down at the corners from the ceiling with short 2x4 legs attached to the ceiling trusses and slid the hood in like an envelope.
That sounds like a fixed shelf. I'd like to be able to load it and then hoist it up

I'll be home by next Tuesday so I hope to have it up by the weekend. I think I'll go with the chain idea from @moparvinson That will let me put the hooks into studs as opposed to just into the plywood and still give me a bit of lateral range on the position of it, I hope. I'll post pics. Thanks for everyone's input.

Auto Transport Service
Back