• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Happy birthday Nirvana

kiwigtx

International Mod of Mystery
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:32 AM
Reaction score
Have a very happy birthday @Nirvana :bday: :bday: :bday: :bday: :bday: :bday: :bday: :bday: :bday: :bday: :bday: :bday: :bday: :bday: :bday: :bday: :bday: :bday: :bday: :bday: :bday: :bday:

It was around 1991 when I got seriously hooked on that band's music. Introduced to it while on a work trip to Madrid, Spain. Great band for the times.

From another thread.... Scotch whiskey: Do you imbibe?

Back in about 1991 I was working for a Media Installation company, and we travelled around the UK for week long jobs. The Royal Bank of Scotland HQ in Glasgow was a favourite. My buddy and I stayed in a Bed & Breakfast just a 5-minute walk past a Whisky House. They did tastings and it was actually like a very small friendly pub....almost homely. Each day after work we stopped in for a pint or two of Guiness with accompanying shots of whisky. Those stop-ins seemed to get longer each visit, but that was all good.....bag of hot chips on the way home and a few pints, with some whisky chasers....no finer way to end the day.

Anyhoo....what we discovered was the older the whisky, the more you pay ....and the more you pay, the smoother the taste. The most expensive one I was willing to part cash with was a 30-year old single malt (being a bit snobbish I don't generally drink blends) :p ...and man was that so nice. Definitely steered clear of anything under 14 years old.....(focus guys - I'm talking whisky here) and it was a strategy worth sticking with.

Now one of those jobs took us to Madrid, Spain....twice.....and did we get into some trouble there.....I made the mistake of drinking Johnnie Walker Red Label. Some shenanigans occurred, and the night ended with me projectile spewing my guts just after managing to scramble out of the taxi. I couldn't remember the name of our Hotel, so I said something a long the lines of (in my best high school Spanish) - "Big Hotello, ovo toppo hillo"
Driver looked less than impressed....but he knew the place. :lol: My buddy thought it was hilarious. That was the week I was introduced to the sweet sounds of Nirvana.

....sorry to rattle on like a mini-Ed story. :lol:

1721628378228.png

(Image borrowed from @Cheapsunglasses ) :lol:

I just want to say thank you all again, this is more birthday wishes than I get in real life. It was awesome to wake up to.

1721698715859.png

1721698791598.png

Did Kurt fake his death and take on the alias of David Spade?
The world may never know.....

As far as whisky.....
I found a bottle on the farm when I was 15. Now, that was some time ago, but not as long ago as it was for some here :)
So, the thing about this bottle of whisky was my folks did not drink. Either did the previous owners. I found this in the only building left standing from a fire on the old homestead(acreage was part of our farm) down the road. The fire had occurred before WW2. The bottle was stashed up on the top of the highest wall beam in the corner right under the roof, I spied it as i was crawling on a load of haybales in a wagon we had parked in there to keep it out of a rainstorm.
There was no label on the bottle, and I forget what the words were on it(raised letters like old Ball mason jars) but being 15 I didn't think anything of tasting it.
Of course I smelled it first to make sure it wasn't turpentine in a reused bottle lol. But I figured it was legit or it wouldn't have found it's way up there. Probably a son or husband back then hiding it from their folks.
To this day I don't know how old it really was. Just that it was old.

Anyway, it was the smoothest sweetest whisky I have ever tasted in my life. The type of thing you imagine when you see the old westerns and the cowboys at the saloon are pouring it down. The type of thing described in books when the author writes "sweet whisky on his breath". Not sure how to ever find anything like that again. Not sure they even make whisky like they did 100 years ago. If they do somewhere, even if I put one away now I would be dead before it got old enough to replicate.

And that's how whisky was ruined for me before I was even close enough to buy any. I can find some I like OK nowdays, but nothing comes close to that stashed old bottle.

Auto Transport Service
Back