• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Harbor Freight 90 AMP Flux Wire Welder

Bruzilla

Local time
5:53 AM
Reaction score
I had some spare cash this past weekend, and found a guy who was selling a lightly-used Harbor Freight 90 AMP flux wire welder with a stand, a grinder, three spools of wire, and a mask for $100. I looked at some videos of this rig being used on Youtube and it seemed like a decent low-buck welder for small jobs so I went out and bought it. These sell for about $100 new and $75 or so used on craigslist and at pawn shops.

My son was using it over the weekend to weld a busted bed frame we have, and it actually did a really nice job. I also found when I removed the leaf springs on my Roadrunner that the upper plate above the springs that the sway bar stabilizer bolts to had a crack in it. We welded that up as well. He's also been using it this week to make some rebar skeletons for some Halloween props we're making.

So far this has been a pretty nice welding rig for the money. Granted, I wouldn't use it for major work, but it seems to handle the light and medium duty needs well.

I bought that same one because my Lincoln welder is 220 volt and that limits where I can get it to... I have had similar results to yours... for the money it seems to do the light work pretty good

Yup
I have used them
I have a Lincoln DUAL Voltage MIG BUT, I can "spray" just a well with my buds "freight" model....

PS: For the money, that was a great deal...an assortment of tool to go with it!
Hell, a cheap cart in $80

I have one it works fine got it free too had to buy the cheap cart for it but don't care

... but will it work the second time? :icon_hockey:

I used to have a Lincoln machine that I got in a trade and never really cared how the flux core wire acted. I too figured I could take it anywhere but it mostly sat around because I just wasn't going anywhere else to weld and just used my Millermatic 200. I have 3 220V drops from front to back in my shop so welding anywhere including outside is doable so I sold the Lincoln. I'm told however that gas on the flux core improves the process a bunch.

I have the same welder and it does a great job once you get the wire feed speed set right for the job and choose the min or max setting accordingly. I have welded up to 3/16 plate steel with it so far with no issues.

Just my opinion, but flux-corewire makes alot of smoke, and if you're in a sealed-up garage that **** will kill you! You're not supposed to be welding outside in a breeze if you can help it
because it blows the shielding gas that the flux makes away from the wire and sometimes causes alot of porosity in the weld. I got spoiled at my job having any kind of welder available for my
"Government Jobs". I've been seeing Hobart Handler 140 MIG welders on Flea-Bay lately for around $400.00 shipped. Thanks for listening!

That's the same one I was using to work on my floorboards. It works really well when you get the wire speed right. I used it on hi and low but seemed to work better on low. I was only welding sheet metal though. It's a good until for the money imo.

Just my opinion, but flux-corewire makes alot of smoke, and if you're in a sealed-up garage that **** will kill you! You're not supposed to be welding outside in a breeze if you can help it
because it blows the shielding gas that the flux makes away from the wire and sometimes causes alot of porosity in the weld. I got spoiled at my job having any kind of welder available for my
"Government Jobs". I've been seeing Hobart Handler 140 MIG welders on Flea-Bay lately for around $400.00 shipped. Thanks for listening!

Actually wind doesn't affect flux core wire without gas. So it is preferred in windy conditions.

I changed out a leaf spring on the Roadrunner yesterday, and the top plate that the sway bar stabilizer bolts to had a crack in it. I hammered it back to close the crack and then hit it with the welder. Seemed to fix the problem pretty well.

Flux cored can be used outdoors were the wind would blow away the shielding gas used with solid core wire. You have to understand your limitations when using those small lower priced machines.

Auto Transport Service
Back