• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone used this Hughes Cam?

64SF

Local time
1:37 PM
Reaction score
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...RmxhdCBUYXBwZXQsIEh5ZHJhdWxpYw==&partid=30258

Am building a 451 stroker for my 64 Sport Fury (727, power brakes) using the following components.

400 block bored 030 over
440 steel crankshaft
KB 280-30 pistons
440 LY rods
452 heads
HP cast iron manifolds
Edlebrock RPM intake
750 Holley vacuum secondary

The cam kit (cam, springs and lifters) was suggested by engine machinist/builder.

Am looking for a quick, torquey street car, occasional cruising (no more than 100 miles one way), reasonable street manners. The car currently has the stock 361, stock converter and original gear ratio (not sure what it is). Comments and suggestions welcomed.

Last edited:
We just installed a Hughes Whiplash SMC3245BL in our 413 bored .030 over, crank turned .010, ported / Polished and shaved close chamber heads, new intake, 650 Edelbrock carbs ,, 5001 Lifters, 6427 timing chain and gaskets, double springs,HD distributor drive, electronic ignition, correct 3 inch manifolds, OEM exhaust with cut outs, new Hemi fuel pump with extra vapor fuel line, new fuel lines, gas tank and sender, 65 push button trans with slip yoke complete rebuild with HD flex plate and 2500 stall, trams cooler, 457 HP and 475 FPT.

The motor spins up like a small block very happy with the cam..idles at around 1,200 RPM

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to say it was in our 62 Dodge 413 Max Wedge not in the 63

I have the solid lifter version of that cam... same specs, that's kind of funny...

and I do like it, idle is a bit chopy but i like it. Once I get to the track we will see how much I like it or not....

I have a 3200 rpm stall and 4.10 gears so that may make it feel more responsive..

call dave hughes and see what he says about that cam and your combo. only way to get the straight skinny.

call dave hughes and see what he says about that cam and your combo. only way to get the straight skinny.

X2. Anyone who just buys from Hughes' online store without talking to Dave is missing out on a ton of wisdom.

from the info posted my suggestion would be the 2832 cam ground on a 113lsa.

from the info posted my suggestion would be the 2832 cam ground on a 113lsa.

Wow, I hope to shout so, I just noticed the "power brake" in the original post...........The OP's 242/246 @ .050 (4246 cam) on a 108 LSA isn't going to be very power brake friendly.

Auto Transport Service
Back