• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headers

Wayne Mueller

Local time
3:56 AM
Reaction score
Best fitting headers for a 1970 charger 500, 383 with floor shifter and power steering.

You get what you pay for is my experience !

before you decide, you need to decide what type of headers you want? Shorties, Tri-Y's, long tube? If it's Long Tube, TTI no question. For Try-Y's, Schumachers are tough to beat and what I run in my car. I've heard good things about Dougs.

Few consider customs. I'm lucky to have a builder
available locally. The cost is comparative to higher
end units, and not so 'off the shelf' in quality. I had
a set built for a Jeep CJ V-8. Not a single problem
in 25 years.
I had the same manufacturer weld a set together
for my current build.
20180422_092249.jpg
20190108_143834.jpg

I just put a new set of Doug's on my car 2 weeks ago. DO NOT BUY DOUG'S! They arent Doug's anymore they are owned by Pertronix. The quality is the worst I've ever seen. The welding looks like my 8 year old grandson did it. Laid a straight edge on the flanges and saw daylight. Terrible quality control. Finally got them sealed with Remflex gaskets.

TTI's as stated above is my choice. I didn't put headers on my 66 Ply Build and instead opted for the HP Manifolds on the 383. I then added a 2 1/2 inch TTI exhaust set up and custom installed by a shop near me at that time. Sounds great and has a nice throaty bark to it. Just didn't really want all the hassle of hanging headers, so the HP's fit the bill nicely...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

Last edited:
I just put a new set of Doug's on my car 2 weeks ago. DO NOT BUY DOUG'S! They arent Doug's anymore they are owned by Pertronix. The quality is the worst I've ever seen. The welding looks like my 8 year old grandson did it. Laid a straight edge on the flanges and saw daylight. Terrible quality control. Finally got them sealed with Remflex gaskets.
I haven't heard that. Good to know.

Do you have any pictures of the questionable welds and flanges?

for 'off the shelf' mass-produced stuff TTI,
sort of pricey but worth it

I like custom stuff too
sort of a PITA to do, can get pricey too
but you get exactly what you want that way

"but you get exactly what you want that way"
Off the shelf headers wouldn't work for what
I needed in both cases. The Jeep's pipes run
inside the frame rails and exit to the rear. The
current build has a tube chassis under 1940's
sheetmetal. TTI builds a good header, and they
fit most standard applications.

last year i bought a set of Summit ceramic coated headers for a 71 B body.
Looks good and fit very good too. No clearance issues with suspension or starter. Was about $550.
Havent started the car yet but i dont expect a problem.

Another vote for Shumachers if you can find a set.

Auto Transport Service
Back