• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater delete

Rusty knuckles

Local time
7:53 AM
Reaction score
I'm in the process of replacing the evaporator for the AC on my 69 charger. My heater core has been seeping and rather than replace it I'm just going to not put it back in. However, I'd like to plug the hole on the firewall where the tube's go through. Is there a source for a blank grommet there?

Since you aren't looking for originality. You can find assortments of plastic and metal plugs at the local hardware store.
I don't remember if there are 2 or holes or a larger oblong hole. I've used a combination of plastic plugs cut and fit
for oblong holes such as the clutch rod hole with a bit of whittlin' using a exacto knife.
Just a thought.

You live in South Dakota and your not going to replace your heater core? I'm below you , drive my cars regularly and depending, use the heater more than one would think. Your a tough one!

Gloves and a coat on a sunny day do a lot. I don't drive in sub zero temps and down to about 25 it's sweatshirt weather anyway.

I'm in the process of replacing the evaporator for the AC on my 69 charger. My heater core has been seeping and rather than replace it I'm just going to not put it back in. However, I'd like to plug the hole on the firewall where the tube's go through. Is there a source for a blank grommet there?
I fabricated some sheet metal where needed. Bought at local Home Depot. Replaced from inside and covered it up with new fuse box and msd. Can’t see anything from engine bay. I took my heater box out when I replaced all the wiring! I fabricated a panel for bulkhead connector too. The car is far from original, so I wasn’t concerned about that. Good luck!

I don’t drive it in the winter here in Maine and close chilly days, that engine warms things up enough.
IMG_5213.jpeg
IMG_5212.jpeg

Gloves and a coat on a sunny day do a lot. I don't drive in sub zero temps and down to about 25 it's sweatshirt weather anyway.
I was just looking up your state. Looks like a great place, lots of space and not many people. I just read this:
Spearfish South Dakota holds the record for the biggest temperature drop in world history. From 54°F to -4°F in only 27 minutes!
That's incredible.

The biggest temp spike as well. Going from the teens to 50s in minutes. It broke windows all over town. Weather here is very volatile. I do love living here but all the outsiders moving in are wrecking it.

Auto Transport Service
Back