• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heavy duty cooling system

On Empty

Local time
7:11 PM
Reaction score
I have heard that the R/T’s and GTX’s Have heavy duty cooling systems. Can anyone tell me if the radiators are three core or four core radiators? Do the cooling fans have seven blades?

It seems kind of ridiculous, but my GTX came from the factory with a 22” radiator, direct drive fan and no shroud. I believe that a buyer would have to order HD cooling specifically, or select another package which included it, like a “Track Pack” or AC…

I've had five GTXs with the heavy duty cooling system, which included a 26 inch radiator. Two factory '69 A/C cars, one had a direct drive fan from the factory, the other had a thermal drive, which was the usual set up. Seven blades on each, with shroud. One '69 with Performance Axle Package, one '69 Track Pak 4 speed, and one '68 Hemi automatic- fan on each of those was a seven blade viscous drive. Three row cores from the factory. Current A/C car had the original radiator re-cored with a two row, with bigger tubes than original. No cooling issues, when running A/C at 90 degrees.

My unrestored '68 GTX with automatic and no A/C came with a 22 inch radiator, a shroud, and a seven blade direct drive fan. Never had a cooling issue after I had the original radiator re-cored.

Last edited:
My ‘68 383/auto Bee has the ultra rare ( for ‘68 bees) factory air. High capacity cooling fan (sales code 491) is called out in the fender tag. It came with a 2-row 26” radiator and a 3” pitch seven blade clutch fan. It was barely adequate, especially in town on an 100+ degree day until I recored to a 3 row, then I could run the air anytime with no problem. Getting ready to recore again to a ridiculously expensive 4 row since the 3 row is about done.

I have a 26" 3 row unit on order through a local, somewhat, radiator shop. Brass/Copper unit. It's coming out of Texas. $425 plus shipping and tax. It's for my 67 wagon which the PO put in an eBay universal special. He butchered the fan and shroud to make it "work". I picked up a new correct shroud, fan, clutch and hoses.

Auto Transport Service
Back