• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hellcat killer build

Rusty knuckles

Local time
10:57 PM
Reaction score
I'm working on building an autocross/road race 68 charger. I have decided against a hellcat swap due to cost and weight but I love how my hellcat makes power. So my goal for this engine is lightweight and makes gobs of power from 2500-6000 rpm but very street-able. I realize 700hp is likely out of reach of street-able without boost (too heavy?) but I think high 500's to 600hp is in the ballpark od do-able.

I have a few 383 blocks available as well as a late 440 and a 69 440. I'm thinking stroker is probably the way to go. But not sure RB or B to use. I'm leaning a bit to the 383 stroked out though because of reputation to rev quick and save me about 50lbs in the nose.

Needs to be a budget conscious build so I'm willing to do some weird stuff like maybe buy a crank and use stock rods with upgraded bolts. ButI know speed costs money. Let's say $10k budget. If you were planning this what way would you go?

I went big budget. Indy aluminum low deck. Low deck saves a few pounds. If you can get a lighter reciprocating assembly, for sure rev faster plus more weight shaved. The Indy long block is 450 lbs with oil in the pan.

IMG_0919.jpeg

I went big budget. Indy aluminum low deck. Low deck saves a few pounds. If you can get a lighter reciprocating assembly, for sure rev faster plus more weight shaved. The Indy long block is 450 lbs with oil in the pan.

View attachment 1693899
My 540 weighed 420# with the FAST 2.0 installed and oil. Also a low deck block.
Mike
IMG_1561.JPG

IMG_1560.JPG

I’m interested to see where this thread goes, mancinni offers a stoker kit for 383 at 472 cubic inch. I don’t know what your thinking for heads but that combo in auto cross car would be ideal with high rpm. I want to try a 383 down the road.

IMG_5107.png

While I'd love an aluminum block there's no way I can budget that.

That 472 kit is exactly what I'm looking at. Thinking some kind of trick flow top end possibly.

I wonder what the weight difference is between the existing 383 reciprocating and the stroker stuff. I'm thinking stroker is going to be lighter. Maybe the crank counter weights can get a pendulum profile done.

I wonder what the weight difference is between the existing 383 reciprocating and the stroker stuff. I'm thinking stroker is going to be lighter. Maybe the crank counter weights can get a pendulum profile done.
According to This article the stroker crank weighs 3lbs less. Found that very interesting.

Nice. I looked on their site last night and they do have a pendulum profiled unit thats 4lbs less. Extra cost option of course. But still, 3 lbs less swinging around is a big deal. Looks like you and I are both going autocross/roadrace type of builds on our cars. For me, twisty stuff is a lot more fun. My car is a 65 Coronet. When I had it weighed at Goodguys 15? years ago, RideTech was doing it for free if you were a GG member, I was surprised at the weight. 3941 without me in it, 1/2 tank fuel, iron headed 440, a/c, p/s, 727. I think the Chargers like yours are lighter. After I get done I want to get it scaled again as I have lopped off weight with the aluminum engine but added structure to it. Cubic inches and low reciprocating weight helps tremendously with acceleration.

Totally agree on the twisty stuff. My 69 charger weighs 4100 with a full tank and me in it. There's almost nothing I've done to reduce weight. It's a 383 car with the original AC, full interior, spare in the trunk, and even a handful of tools in the glove box. I don't remember if I had the stock intake when I weighed it but have an aluminum one now.

This build will pursue a bit more weight reduction. Aluminum heads, intake, and waterpump, composite leaf springs, interior will be there for comfort but I'll knock weight off where I can there. I'll likely put AC in it for comfort but I'll go with a newer system to save weight. From there I'll need to get more creative but shooting for 3700lbs or less.

BHM
Could try Craigslist, clubs, wtb post etc
You're just handcuffing yourself down the road with the small bore. Don't get me wrong, I like 383s... but I would find a 400 block if I'm spending all that dough to build a worthy stroker

Eh just not an avenue I want to pursue with what I have available. 383 bore is bigger than the 440 and never heard anyone say they were handicapped on a stroker build with one of those.

Eh just not an avenue I want to pursue with what I have available. 383 bore is bigger than the 440 and never heard anyone say they were handicapped on a stroker build with one of those.
4.32>4.25

You should get some how to build a a stroker BBD books.

Totally agree on the twisty stuff. My 69 charger weighs 4100 with a full tank and me in it. There's almost nothing I've done to reduce weight. It's a 383 car with the original AC, full interior, spare in the trunk, and even a handful of tools in the glove box. I don't remember if I had the stock intake when I weighed it but have an aluminum one now.

This build will pursue a bit more weight reduction. Aluminum heads, intake, and waterpump, composite leaf springs, interior will be there for comfort but I'll knock weight off where I can there. I'll likely put AC in it for comfort but I'll go with a newer system to save weight. From there I'll need to get more creative but shooting for 3700lbs or less.
I'm always amazed at how much heavier the pre-71 cars are vs the 71-later. I'm also going the AX/HPDE route with my '71 Coronet. Bone stock with a 1/2 tank of fuel it was 3478lbs, and 54f/46r weight distribution (it's nice having corner scales). Mine is a 318/904 currently so that makes up some of the difference, but it's also a 4 door.

Sometime in the future I need to do that for the 67 wagon too so I can choose t-bars and springs.

Auto Transport Service
Back