• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Please- 74 RR just died when go from park to reverse (zero electrical power now)

ramairthree

Local time
8:16 PM
Reaction score
I was about to take it on the weekly little trip around the neighborhood. (needs front end rebuilt, etc. not serious road worthy but a few miles here and there fine)

I was all started and warmed up (edelbrock 4bbl on intake, no choke hooked up), which takes a few minutes even in summer.

I put it into reverse and it died.

Electrically.
Not it was not warmed up and going out of parked stalled it.

Like you have when you lose the ground.

Neg terminal to block ground is good and tested.

No power at any fuses.

I am scratching my head about why the lose when go out of park.

My seat belt safety is looped off, and connections are good.

Last week, the fasten seat belt message light was on, which I do not remember seeing before. But not on the drive after that.

I am thinking my first step then might be I should pull the seats and carpet and see if it is a short in the seat belt wiring.

Any better ideas on where to start if good ground off batt and it happened shifting.

Thank you for any tips.

no power at the fuse block makes me think you have a bad connection at the bulkhead connector...

Fusible link? They go out with little warning.... Sometimes the vibration of putting it into reverse will be enough if its loose or almost gone.

Check that the ammeter connections are tight... Main power runs through it.... This is a more rare problem.

I believe the seat sensor prevents starting but not running. If I remember, when you push the overide button, it would let you start the car and keep the car running, so I doubt that's the problem. Sounds like you've got something loose that shifted out of contact when you went into reverse and the car shook.

I had the same problem on a 1997 Crown Vic, and it ended up being a bad positive battery cable clamp.

Thank you.
I stopped on the way home from work and picked up a 14 and a 16 gauge fusible link in case I needed them.

Jump to red to yellow on the relay did fire up the starter.

fusible link showed good on multimeter.

red from fusible link to bulkhead male spade showed good on multimeter.

The bulkhead looked great.

I cleaned both male and female up, put it back together, and I had power again.

Not sure why shifting from park to reverse was the exact moment it went out.

Not sure why only one time I have seen the fasten belts message light a drive or two before this,

but it is running right now.

My harness is on borrowed time. Old, dry, stiff, and splices everywhere.

Possibly the neutral safety switch?

"Not sure why shifting from park to reverse was the exact moment it went out."

One of the first things I check (well, top 10 at least) when I experience electrical weirdness is the floor-mounted hi-beam/dimmer switch. A bad switch or ground can cause all sorts of odd symptoms...lots of juice running through that thing.

Would the neutral safety switch prevent the car from turning over? I have a 71 Roadrunner-4 speed. I just had an electric fan installed and the next day I go to turn my car on and it won't turn oevr. Nothing- dead. The only way I can start it is with a screw driver.I was told it was the starter relay. The new one came in today and still nothing?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

If you can start it with the relay, it seems to be working and yes, the neutral safety switch could be doing it, check and clean all your connections to it, check all your grounds under the hood, A lot of the time thats the problem with these, im sure someone else will chime in but a couple things to check. Good luck and welcome aboard the forum!

Auto Transport Service
Back