• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi rebuild?

19 69 GTX

Local time
2:50 PM
Reaction score
Taking apart for a rebuild. I believe engine is stock with stock pistons but won't know for sure until apart. What bearings do you suggest I go with ? If I need pistons what are your recommendations as I want to be able to run 93 octane max. Also what cam is something that will sound good and give me some more hp. Not sure if I should go hydraulic flat or solid flat..Will be running dual quads up top. I have 3.91 gears and will get a custom converter to match what I got. Thanks guys I'm new to the hemi world

20240610_100358.jpg

Any of the name brands of pistons should be fine, Mahle, diamond, etc.
for cam talk to the mfgr when settled on what purpose of engine is.
I vote for hydraulic roller. With zinc issues in most oils, flat tapped can be a problem.

Any of the name brands of pistons should be fine, Mahle, diamond, etc.
for cam talk to the mfgr when settled on what purpose of engine is.
I vote for hydraulic roller. With zinc issues in most oils, flat tapped can be a problem.

Any certain brand cams to stay away from

Normally I'd go roller but not wanting to spend big on the build at this time.

I'm sure it will need bored but try to keep the overbore as small as possible. When you find what it will clean up on then you can look around and see who makes a piston that size. Mopar used to have a good cam selection but now you will probably have to go aftermarket. Take your time on the teardown and keep your eyes open. This will be a fun build since you are using a minimum of aftermarket parts but there will still be trying times. Don't get in a hurry.

Taking apart for a rebuild. I believe engine is stock with stock pistons but won't know for sure until apart. What bearings do you suggest I go with ? If I need pistons what are your recommendations as I want to be able to run 93 octane max. Also what cam is something that will sound good and give me some more hp. Not sure if I should go hydraulic flat or solid flat..Will be running dual quads up top. I have 3.91 gears and will get a custom converter to match what I got. Thanks guys I'm new to the hemi world

View attachment 1677596

first place, it ain't stock with dual plug valve covers ...you may get a few surprises when u get into it too , maybe not , but why would anyone put those on just for looks ??you could get alum. covers w/o the dual plug , altho my experience with them both , they leaked...

I was told roller all the way , avoid any flat tappet cam style be it solid or hyd

But for the life of me cant remember if they said go solid or hyd roller on a streetcar

Keep the bore size to a minimum, And for pistons I was told use either Diamond , Icon or JE

Cam in mine is about a 305 duration and 505 lift. Part of me thinks I might go just a tad more on both if I was to change it. Then again , Mine idles nice so maybe not

Torque conv in mine im told is about 2800-3000 stall. And honestly , not a fan of it. Takes to much throttle to get it to move, especially when cold

When the time comes I plan to take that down a bit to the 2200-2500 range

Knock on wood. I have never had any issues with any of my hyd. F.t. cams and lifters even with decent lifts and durations. I always break them in on the out springs only and then add the inner/damper springs after break in. Currently have over 60,000 miles on my 440 Sixpack car.

In my Hemi's though I have always had larger roller cams. For bearings I prefer Kings bearings. They are usually available in many more tolerances to get the clearance needed. They also come coated already for not much more than standard uncoated Clevite or Federal Mogul bearings.

As they say. You either have a Hemi or you want a Hemi.

I was told roller all the way , avoid any flat tappet cam style be it solid or hyd

But for the life of me cant remember if they said go solid or hyd roller on a streetcar

Keep the bore size to a minimum, And for pistons I was told use either Diamond , Icon or JE

Cam in mine is about a 305 duration and 505 lift. Part of me thinks I might go just a tad more on both if I was to change it. Then again , Mine idles nice so maybe not

Torque conv in mine im told is about 2800-3000 stall. And honestly , not a fan of it. Takes to much throttle to get it to move, especially when cold

When the time comes I plan to take that down a bit to the 2200-2500 range
that cam is just slightly better than a bone stock hemi cam...

Auto Transport Service
Back