• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

high beams outside or inside?

ramairthree

Local time
8:02 PM
Reaction score
on my 74 Roadrunner I am getting new lights, but the 2 and 3 prong connecters are lined up opposite of what I thought.

which way from the factory?

Low beams are outboard.....

thanks, the previous owner swapped. not sure why.

I do know the low beams work each side, but not high beams.

low beams shut off but no power to high beams sockets when I hit the dimmer switch.

also my ammeter dumps to neg and bounces back over and over when I switch to high beams.

I have lots of wiring to sort out.
have not even started on rear of car yet.

I have working dome and gauge lights, (except no high/low beam indicator)
working low beams, working front turn signals
(but not hazzards)

lots of stuff to sort out as right now don't think brake warning, belt warning, oil pressure switches hooked up, side marker lights have been shaved but nothing done with the harness parts in front, but cut in rear,
no wiper washer pump/resovoir, no wiper motor,
etc. etc.

other than that,
I am in good shape. Just need a headliner, correct interior, new engine, probably tranny and rear end, some sunroof parts, etc. etc.

Ok, I take that back.
I am not in good shape.
But I own a RR and it is not getting crushed or parted out,
so at least the car has that going for it.

:)

On a quad headlight system, the low beams get brighter when the high beams come on...not supposed to shut off. May be a ground problem or even the dimmer switch could be bad. The 3 prong sockets are the outboard lights.....

so far I am thinking my dimmer switch is shorting, or it may be in the wiring to the sockets.

will grab a switch soon, been to the parts store once today, my hour or two of car working time is over, and I already need two more bulbs and the switch for another parts store stop some other day.

I walked into the parts store last week, and one of the counter techs I see often had just stepped out to light a smoke. I said hello, went in, grabbed the bolts I needed, and got in line behind one customer at the open register. He came in (having set his smoke down) and said "I got you here, can't let our best customer wait". Then headed out to grab and finish his smoke break. There are four others that work there that recognize me that quick. And a couple more are catching on.

I need maintainence stuff for a 69 driver non numbers matching GTO, spent the past year and a half getting a rough driver 71 Javelin road worthy, and now the RR. It's a pain in the butt, but today I got low beams, turn signals, and dome light working. In a year or two it will be a rough driver hopefully road worthy and I will be happy.

Thanks for info.

well, got the short sorted out.

now, for the record, can anyone tell me why the previous owner would have swapped headlight bulb cups? On one side.

Auto Transport Service
Back