• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

High End Crankshaft? Timken Steel is Now Metallus

padam

Local time
9:06 PM
Reaction score
I just wanted to put this out there for reference.
I know some of the high end crankshafts (Bryant, Callie’s) are made from steel supplied by Timken Steel.

A few months back the company changed its name to Metallus. I’m not sure why. I’m sure the steel is the same, at least for now.

IMG_3856.jpeg

I just did a country of origin search of the new Company name
Metallus, allegedly, it's been around since 1899

Metallus, formerly named Timken
Company & product is from Mexico & Canton, Ohio in the US
they supposed also to do
military & high performance metals for aerospace & automotive markets too

Timken used to be split into two divisions, bearing and steel. The steel mill was built during WW1 I think because Timken couldn’t get enough quality steel to make their bearings.

Around 2014, The corporation split the steel business of into a separate company. It still exists as the same company, just with a different name now.
The steel they make is very high quality. Crankshafts, bearings, oil drilling equipment, military.
I worked in the metallurgical lab from about 2012-2018 when they moved my functions to a different company and I went with the work.

Koyo aquired the bearing side awhile back I’m not for sure on exact details but if you hit the Net it’s on there. I expect the Timken bearing line will run dry and koyo will be it as I’ve had some Timken hub bearings with koyo in the box..

Koyo aquired the bearing side awhile back I’m not for sure on exact details but if you hit the Net it’s on there. I expect the Timken bearing line will run dry and koyo will be it as I’ve had some Timken hub bearings with koyo in the box..
You may have that backwards. I believe Timken Bearing buys up many bearing related companies.
At any rate, almost no bearings are made in Canton Ohio now.

This is what I found.

FDDEADE1-D002-4995-8F8E-A28CA8E2E38C.png

Not sure but it’s past the point of ridiculous imo... I always preferred Timken for everything and then I got one with a koyo in the Timken box and said wth.

Do these morons really think a name change will improve their products or position in the marketplace?

A hundred years of name recognition gone in an instant...

Metallus?

Pretty sure I've seen them in concert.

Auto Transport Service
Back