• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

High flow pulley

71_Duster

Local time
4:04 PM
Reaction score
That smaller hemi water pump pulley needs a different crank pulley to drive it. The matching hemi crank pulley won't work on a wedge balancer. And it uses a two groove alternator pulley with the belt on the front groove, not the rear.

Last edited:
I've done the smaller water pump pulley thing before. Meant nothing as far as cooling my engine down.

I was hoping it might be a cheaper solution but kind of figured it wouldn't be the magic bullet for idling in traffic. Waiting to hear back from Glen-ray as well may be time for a 26" rad.

I was hoping it might be a cheaper solution but kind of figured it wouldn't be the magic bullet for idling in traffic. Waiting to hear back from Glen-ray as well may be time for a 26" rad.
I assume you have the smaller rad? Lots of guys think that a 4 core rad is the answer but most times, it's not. Larger tubes in a 2 or 3 core is usually better.

I have a 22" aluminum rad from Wizard cooling (which was it's own **** show). It's a 2 core with the bigger tubes. I've had the traffic heating issues (210 with stop and go) with 2 different 440's the current is built and dyno'd @ 520 hp I've tried multiple different clutch type mechanical fans (currently the 18" 7 blade) it also has Wizards shroud on it. A Flow kooler water pump, multiple different t-stats. Distributor was curved to the car. The trans cooler is removed from the rad you name it.

I just tried Tony's Parts thermostatic fan clutch which was worse so went back to my Tony's parts torque style clutch. I was readying another member fighting their temp issues and saw mention of the hemi water pump pulley so went down that rabbit hole and was ready what I could. Thats when I found the "hi-flow" crank pullies from 2 sources that would do the same thing to spin the pump/fan faster

Blades half in. If I stay moving I can drive it all day no issue. When I hit stop and go it starts to creep 2 or 3 lights and it'll be at 210, once I get moving it will slowly come back down.

Have you compared you readings with a IR gun? Check your manifolds/headers heat range right at the ports to see if your running lean causing the extra heat.

On a real hot day in stop and go traffic I might see 200 which isn't that bad using 10% gas during the summer. Moving its at 180 all day.

440, iron heads, 22" aluminum, two 1"core radiator, 7 blade fan with shroud. Factory iron water pump housing and factory water pump.

This factory pump moves plenty of coolant. I don't know why all these aftermarket part outfits are trying to make things better than factory when they don't.
20170520_144948-jpg.jpg

All I know is from what I’ve personally done. Big radiator to give you capacity, good pump to give you flow. Putting a 26 where a 22 grew is perfectly acceptable and cutting isn’t always a requirement to get the job done.

Watch the water flowing with a stock pump. Then put something like an Edelbrock in and watch a raging river go by.

Auto Transport Service
Back