• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood clearance, 1969 Road Runner 440, air grabber

Rob Riley

Local time
8:21 AM
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just spent a pile on a new high performance 440 for my 69 road runner and the air grabber hood doesn't seem to fit. I have a Torker intake and a reworked Holley double pumper. No spacers.
Am I stuck buying a 6 barrell hood (not that that's all bad!).
I'm sure I've seen other 440 cars out there with the air grabber hood in place.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Rob

First....welcome. Second, there was a different breather base for the 440 4V and 383 4V air grabber setup. I'm guessing you're using the 383 piece and you need the one designed for the 440

Hi Guys,

Just spent a pile on a new high performance 440 for my 69 road runner and the air grabber hood doesn't seem to fit. I have a Torker intake and a reworked Holley double pumper. No spacers.
Am I stuck buying a 6 barrell hood (not that that's all bad!).
I'm sure I've seen other 440 cars out there with the air grabber hood in place.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Rob

i have an M1 dual plain intake and I just cut and welded on the air cleaner base to make it all fit under the air grabber hood

i have an M1 dual plain intake and I just cut and welded on the air cleaner base to make it all fit under the air grabber hood

There is someone making a fiberglass base with a neck that can be trimed as needed for these type of mods. I know someone who has one on his Dodge. If you'd like I could check with him to see where he got it.
Don't cut a org base if you don't have to.

There is someone making a fiberglass base with a neck that can be trimed as needed for these type of mods. I know someone who has one on his Dodge. If you'd like I could check with him to see where he got it.
Don't cut a org base if you don't have to.
fiber glass would not have worked for mine , i had to move the air cleaner about an inch and a 1/2 forward e

after winter one day i'll get it out and take pictures for you , with the lid off

P9190065.JPG

P9190066.JPG

P9190069.JPG

P9190071.JPG

Thanks for the help guys!

Thanks for the help guys! I'll try to get a fiberglass 440 4v base and go from there. I'll post some pics soon!

Thanks again,

Rob

In case anyone is wondering the factory 440 six pack setup fits under the 69 RR air grabber.

Meep-Meep i need to use a one inch spacer (for water injection reasons) on my six pack, is there enough room under the 69 air grabber for it? If not will i get a 1/2 inch spacer in? Few months off putting the engine in to check. Thank you

Auto Transport Service
Back