• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Horn Help Needed

66plysat

Local time
2:05 PM
Reaction score
After working on the wiring behind the dash of my 66 Satellite, my horn stopped working. Before I turn myself into a pretzel trying to access the wiring again I want to start with potentially simple issues that might cause my horn to suddenly stop working. Is there a fuse dedicated to the horn in the fuse box? Laying on my back on the car floor I can't see the tiny labels on the fuse box or whether or not a fuse has blown. Everything else is operational, just not the horn. I jumped power to the horns themselves and they do honk. I also replaced the horn relay and the horn honked when jumped. I'm hoping it's something simple like a blown fuse. Thanks

Did you check the wires AT the relay to see if there's volatge when the horn button is pressed ?

The horn is grounded and operates with 12 volts in on the terminal. The relay will have a wire going to that terminal as well as a constant high burrent 12 volts in. The relay is gounded by the case and activated by low current 12 volts from the horn button. The horn "probably" has a fuse. Check the FSM or owner's manual in the glovebox !!

Did you check the wires AT the relay to see if there's volatge when the horn button is pressed ?

The horn is grounded and operates with 12 volts in on the terminal. The relay will have a wire going to that terminal as well as a constant high burrent 12 volts in. The relay is gounded by the case and activated by low current 12 volts from the horn button. The horn "probably" has a fuse. Check the FSM or owner's manual in the glovebox !!
No that's not how it works.
The horn relay has 12 volts 24 hours each day.
When you press the horn button on the steering wheel you make the ground or DC negative and pull in the relay.
Likely you've disturbed the wire somewhere and lost your path to the horn button.

No that's not how it works.
The horn relay has 12 volts 24 hours each day.
When you press the horn button on the steering wheel you make the ground or DC negative and pull in the relay.
Likely you've disturbed the wire somewhere and lost your path to the horn button.
My bad ! Probably the only thing on the car triggered by "negative" !!

Oil pressure light, courtesy lights are negative triggered as well.

I cant say I have ever seen a horn switch in the column with any power at it. If it was a positive switched horn the horn switch would need 2 wires. Every one I have seen the horn switch is a negative to ground switch.

If the column loses its ground the horn will not work.

Is the column ground wire located outside the column where you can reach it for service or does it run inside the column?

Auto Transport Service
Back