• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Horn & Hideaway headlight questions

bonitoromeo

Local time
6:21 PM
Reaction score
Did 71 charger come with a horn relay? if so, where should it be located and what does it look like?
Did 71 charger come with a canister for hideaway headlights? I have a canister mounted under my battery box but not sure what it goes? Their is an inlet and outlet on one side of canister.
Also looking for a reverse plug that goes onto tranny if anyone knows where to find one. (need just the end plug due to other one currently being fried)
Thanks Nick

Horn relay plugs into fuse box. Hideaway canister may be for headlight washers as I believe they worked on vacuum. relay.jpg

Ok; relay is in fuse box as required but horn still does not work. Horns were tested directly from battery and do work. The relay buzzes when I hit the horn button on steering wheel; does this mean that relay is no good? Appreciate all the help. Nick

Does your car have A/C? That is what the canister if for. Your hide-a-ways have an electric motor.
Sounds like you have loss the connection between the relay and the horns.

Car did have AC. I took it all out when I redid car due to condition items were in; so that can be removed and not needed for gas vapors?
I am order a new relay to see if that fixes the problem; if not, i will just have to wire the horn directly to a simple auto parts horn button under the dash. Thanks for the help

Ya you can remove it. It is a vacuum storage canister. Has nothing to do with the vapor recovery system.

Ok; relay is in fuse box as required but horn still does not work. Horns were tested directly from battery and do work. The relay buzzes when I hit the horn button on steering wheel; does this mean that relay is no good? Appreciate all the help. Nick

sounds like you installed horn relay into key buzzer slot

A relay is just a switch. The contacts close when a small voltage is applied, and allows higher voltage to pass through it. You should hear clicks: one when the contacts close and one when you let go of the horn button and the contacts open. I've never heard one buzz.

Auto Transport Service
Back