• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How can I tell if my 72 charger is a SE?

hpg4815

Local time
3:26 AM
Reaction score
How can I tell if my 72 charger is a SE? I shop for parts and it says for SE, but I am not sure exactly. It's not a RT. Came with a 318 originally, but from what I am learning it looks like I have a rally gauge configuration since the speedo goes to 150 mph. Also it had factory front and back sway bars.

How can I tell if my 72 charger is a SE? I shop for parts and it says for SE, but I am not sure exactly. It's not a RT. Came with a 318 originally, but from what I am learning it looks like I have a rally gauge configuration since the speedo goes to 150 mph. Also it had factory front and back sway bars.
VIN, b pillar badge chrome dress up package build sheet vinyl roof etc etc

Off the top of my head, the taillights had a trim specific to SE. Also the back side windows were smaller. Both of those things could've been changed over 50 years though, my old one had the window plugs removed sometime in its life. Not sure if the VIN will tell you.

1972- rear quarter windows are completely different than any other model.

VIN= WP29 for SE.

my VIN starts with WH23 so what does that make it?

I thought SE = "standard addition"?

P= Premium
H =high

23 - 2 door hardtop
29 - 2 door sports hardtop

my VIN starts with WH23 so what does that make it?

I thought SE = "standard addition"?

P= Premium
H =high

23 - 2 door hardtop
29 - 2 door sports hardtop
"Special Edition"

Somewhat confusingly, "29" is Chrysler speak "fast top" or fastback.

On 72-74 Chargers, even though the roofline is the same (compared to the other "29" body cars like a Duster, Demon, Some C body cars, or fastback Barracuda), they used 29 to differentiate the rear quarter window treatment.

That is what I am trying to order. the felt cat whiskers seals for the outside of the windows. Want to make sure I get the right thing.

Do you have the factory fender tag inside the engine compartment

Snap a picture or write it down for us

Can you post some pictures

Look at the rear windows in those pictures

The Coupes , Rear Windows DID NOT Roll Down

The SE - See the difference on the Rear Windows

That’s the difference , in the Cat Whiskers that you want to order - Again look at the Rear Windows on the SE , does your car look like that

the only difference between the charger coupe and the charger hardtop is the interior such as wood grain accents and carpet?

Hang on there....

"Coupe" in this case means the rear quarter windows don't roll down.

They should take the same weatherstripping.

That would be a "21" body car.

This is an SE

1724168848575.png

I think an se vin starts wp29 P for premium 29 for roof line which had different tail lights & hide away headlights std & premium interior or bucket seats. a wh23 is a 2dr hdtp which could be had in the topper pkg w/ hideaway lights. wh21 is a coupe
Pre 71 xp Charger & xs = r/t then theres more a cde for wh in 70 is non buckets & one for daytona & one for the 500
Some 72 items were available but I'd have to lookit up in my data book

Hang on there....

"Coupe" in this case means the rear quarter windows don't roll down.

They should take the same weatherstripping.

That would be a "21" body car.
Mine must be called a hard top. QTR windows roll down and the qtr window shape looks like the coupe and hardtop

In 72 you had WH23 car, WL21 cars, and WP29 cars. There was no stand-alone performance designated VIN like 1971 or earlier.

A WH23 car is a standard hardtop Charger with triangular roll-down quarter windows that could or could not also have the add on Rallye package A57.

A WH21 car is a standard non-hardtop Charger which also could or could not have the add on Rallye package A57. The rear quarter window looks very similar to a WH23 car but it is fixed in place.

A WP29 (edit) car was a non-hardtop Charger with a fiberglass window plug that made for a narrow, rectangular, vertical quarter window which is very distinctive from WH23 and WL21 cars.

Rallye gauges and a rear sway bar could be had on any of the cars without the Rallye A57 package under other option packages.

Last edited:
In 72 you had WH23 car, WL21 cars, and WP29 cars. There was no stand-alone performance designated VIN like 1971 or earlier.

A WH23 car is a standard hardtop Charger with triangular roll-down quarter windows that could or could not also have the add on Rallye package A57.

A WH21 car is a standard non-hardtop Charger which also could or could not have the add on Rallye package A57. The rear quarter window looks very similar to a WH23 car but it is fixed in place.

A WP23 car was a non-hardtop Charger with a fiberglass window plug that made for a narrow, rectangular, vertical quarter window which is very distinctive from WH23 and WL21 cars.

Rallye gauges and a rear sway bar could be had on any of the cars without the Rallye A57 package under other option packages.

Check your 3rd description.

Should be the WP29.

Also for the WP29 roof treatment, the drip rail was truncated, making a conversion to a standard window outline very difficult, although I believe the glass and mechanism is the same.

A WP23 car was a non-hardtop Charger with a fiberglass window plug that made for a narrow, rectangular, vertical quarter window which is very distinctive from WH23 and WL21 cars.

THank you! I like this information provided.

Check your 3rd description.

Should be the WP29.

Also for the WP29 roof treatment, the drip rail was truncated, making a conversion to a standard window outline very difficult, although I believe the glass and mechanism is the same.
Yes, that's a typo. I got it right first and then failed! Should be WP29. Thanks for catching that.

Auto Transport Service
Back