• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How long to wait before waxing...

ramairthree

Local time
8:07 PM
Reaction score
an enamel paint job?

I really think my driveway spray paint job was coming along better than my rattle can and roller previous project job,
but man....
a mediocre gloss back paint job shows everything worse than a crappy paint job in another color.

Also,
I tested my rear vs front valence pieces, one clear coated, the other not yet.
I would swear the gloss black alone piece is shinier than the one I put a clear coat on top of.
Is that common?

I have not clear coated the rest of the car yet. Would appreciate info, and what you guys have experienced.

Thank you,

I don't use wax, it entraps dirt and other debris and bakes it, I use 3M light duty polishing compound. and as far as clearcoat being shinier? than what base or acrylic enamel? I don't clear enamel? if you fog clear on the part its gonna look dry and rough, gotta lay it on pretty wet almost to the point of it running and that looks the best IMO!

that's exactly what I did, I did not lay it extra wet, and it "fogged"

For a spray can clear, I'd get a sandable type and wet sand the finish, then buff it out....it will shine like crazy once you do this. Wet sanding after the light coat of clear will help the 2nd layer lay down better, then you can apply a "wet" coat that won't fog or run.

Auto Transport Service
Back