• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how should the 1972 charger hood hinges operate?

hpg4815

Local time
10:05 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1972 dodge charger.

2 sets of hood hinges

one set will allow me to close the hood towards the front of the car close enough to the first latch, then I need to go to the back of the hood near the windshield and work each side of the hood down until it closes. I have to do this in a way so it doesn't catch the paint. First question is this how the hood is supposed to be closed? I think not but figured I would check first. If not, are these hinges fixable? if so, does anyone know how?

I see many of these hood hinges online, and fear buying new ones will result in the same issue.

the other set I believe are in worse condition.

If you're pushing the back down after closing it, you either need to drop the front of the hinge down as it will pull the back down or, they simply need rebuilt. I had mine rebuilt and they are perfect.. it's about $3-400 with shipping.

If you're pushing the back down after closing it, you either need to drop the front of the hinge down as it will pull the back down or, they simply need rebuilt. I had mine rebuilt and they are perfect.. it's about $3-400 with shipping.
I ordered ones from year one, should I cancel and have rebuilt? do you have a company I can call on rebuilding my current ones?

when the spring was out they moved well and freely. SO I do not think that was the issue.

when the spring was out they moved well and freely. SO I do not think that was the issue.
They will do that. These hoods are 80+lbs and hang all on one side of the hinges. The YO hinges may be the knock offs. Not sure. Personally wouldnt trust them cuz I haven't seen them in person. I'll look for the vendor I used and post it. They put new and larger pins at the pivot points. Well worth the money!

RestoRick did them for me about 2yrs ago, still feel fresh. Had them back within about 2-3 wks I think it was. I'll probably have him do a set for my wife's 73 Rallye survivor over the coming winter

Incorrect adjustment can cause the rear to stick up but be able to be pushed down.
The adjustment is somewhat counter-intuative.

They can aslo be "sprung" and cause that condition.
Usually if this is the case, the hood will work it's self back up in the rear as you drive.

Incorrect adjustment can cause the rear to stick up but be able to be pushed down.
The adjustment is somewhat counter-intuative.

They can aslo be "sprung" and cause that condition.
Usually if this is the case, the hood will work it's self back up in the rear as you drive.
I agree my memory is the adjustment is kind of opposite the way you think it should go to get the back down. I was going to replace mine until I figured out the adjustment.

Links and pivot rivets are worn out. Time to rebuild. Is hard to notice untill you remove the spring. Once you do, will find ALL the play around on the assembly. Every minor play will affect and sums.

RestoRick did them for me about 2yrs ago, still feel fresh. Had them back within about 2-3 wks I think it was. I'll probably have him do a set for my wife's 73 Rallye survivor over the coming winter
I've cancelled my order to year one on the replacement hinges, and reached out to Rick.Yesterday I shipped out my old hinges to him. Should have them back in a couple weeks.

I've cancelled my order to year one on the replacement hinges, and reached out to Rick.Yesterday I shipped out my old hinges to him. Should have them back in a couple weeks.
You're gonna love em! Do NOT rinse them with a solvent. He puts good grease on the pivots upon return

I agree my memory is the adjustment is kind of opposite the way you think it should go to get the back down. I was going to replace mine until I figured out the adjustment.
Do you remember how you adjusted it? I have a similar issue, the driver side of the hood when closed is about 1/4" high at the rear corner, but can be pushed down when closed. The hood was closing just fine before body & paint, but the hood was removed for painting and the problem happened after, so I doubt the hinges suddenly went bad.

Hello,
I replaced the left side hinge on my 73 Charger with a NOS and I am also experiencing the need to push the hood down at the cowl. Do you know of a "procedure" for adjusting the hinge after replacement? Any help appreciated.

Raise the rear of the hinge on the side that needs to go down. Just a little at a time. Sometime lowering the front works too depending on where the hinge is currently positioned.

Raise the rear of the hinge on the side that needs to go down. Just a little at a time. Sometime lowering the front works too depending on where the hinge is currently positioned.
Thanks! I'll give that a try.

You're gonna love em! Do NOT rinse them with a solvent. He puts good grease on the pivots upon retur

Got them back last week. Rick is super fast and professional. Thanks for the recommendation. Have not put them on yet. Dropped them off at the paint and body shop since they are working on the car now.

IMG_3873.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back