• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how to mount 3p motor

chrchris

Local time
12:01 AM
Reaction score
Hi there,
I wonder how to adjust the 3ph motor for my air compressor. I restore the car now. I replaced the single phase motor with the 3ph, because it was burnt. What do I need now to install it? I do not have any background that could help me.
Thanks

Unless you have 3 phase power or a phase converter, it won't work.

Well,
You could hook it up in a "STAR" configuration.
You'll have to look it up on-line but it works.

It is possible to run a 3 phase motor from standard 220 Single phase power.
It was used frequently many many years ago by "old timers"

Look it up on line, I do not want to through the principles on the forum.
A good basic understanding of Ohm's Law will help you.

Remember: 3 Phase runs smoother and quieter than single phase.

OR Another option is: LOOK UP:http://www.theautomationstore.com/ac-drive-control-panel-115-230-460vac-1-2hp-to-10-hp/

Would be much easier & probably cheaper to just get a 1∅ motor and install it than to fool around with trying to make the
3∅ motor work.

Would be much easier & probably cheaper to just get a 1∅ motor and install it than to fool around with trying to make the
3∅ motor work.

As hopper said: go single phase.

The reason 3Phase motors are so cheap at the salvage yards is because not everyone is set up to use them.

As hopper said: go single phase.

Well,

Look it up on line, I do not want to through the principles on the forum.
A good basic understanding of Ohm's Law will help you.

Remember: 3 Phase runs smoother and quieter than single phase.

OR Another option is: LOOK UP:http://www.theautomationstore.com/ac-drive-control-panel-115-230-460vac-1-2hp-to-10-hp/

I am not sure what "Star" configuration is, I am only familiar with "Delta" and "Y" connections. The "HomeBrew" phase converter 1P motor should be of the same HP rating as the 3P motor, and it is used as a phase generation motor for the 3Phase motor. It is mostly needed for starting the 3P motor.

Since you have to get a single phase motor to make the phase converter anyway, why not just get a single phase motor to replace the old one.

you have to have 3p service at facility. the old was was one leg is 240v, the other 2 legs are 120v. now much is 208v, best hire electrician.

Well,

I want to try it with the VFD. I know that they are not cheap, but If I find a good one via the Craigslist, I will be happy..
Can you please say what VFD will I need for my motor (the specs) https://www.mrosupply.com/motors/ac-motors/general-purpose-motors/26523_vm3546_baldor/ is there difference in them? or any will be good?

I am not sure what "Star" configuration is, I am only familiar with "Delta" and "Y" connections.

This explains things simply.........

2469-rychke2.gif

I want to try it with the VFD. I know that they are not cheap, but If I find a good one via the Craigslist, I will be happy..
Can you please say what VFD will I need for my motor (the specs) https://www.mrosupply.com/motors/ac-motors/general-purpose-motors/26523_vm3546_baldor/ is there difference in them? or any will be good?

Uhmm. Sounds like your adding complications upon complications... VFD? I assume you mean Variable Frequency Drive? There are guys here that can write a textbook on this however; VFD's are very finicky. They do not like "Dirty Power". Why wound you want a VFD anyway? (unless of course your running a 100-200hp screw compressor... Which I doubt or you would already have 220 3ph to the shop). As stated. Stick with the 1ph replacement and keep life simple. Good luck..

BTW, What B-Body are you restoring/working on? Pictures are always welcome here!! :)

I don't know why you'd want a VFD on a small A/C. They are made to run at given RPM, the added expense & effort to do all this is more than a 1∅ motor would be. But of course "to each their own"

Auto Transport Service
Back