• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to preserve original Casler Cheater tires.

fullmetaljacket

Local time
4:24 AM
Reaction score
I was gifted these original (not recaps) Casler Cheaters along with their respective inner tubes from a friend that had 'em in his climate controlled basement for 50 years. They were mostly in the dark and only have about 20 runs on them from an original Max Wedge that he still owns.
Of course, I'm not planning to use them in competition, but how and what should I treat them with to keep them in nice condition?
Right now, they are dirty from basement dust and mud, but feel surprisingly gummy with no signs of dry rot on the walls. Lots of depth in those famous two groove threads as can be seen here.
I just would like to use them for car show purposes on my car which by chance has an original Casler water decal displayed.

Thanks in advance.

1-5.jpeg

0-10.jpeg

Last edited:
Keep them out of the sun
keep them from freezing

Don't leave them on the car very long or for storage. Remove them or put it on jackstands.

Keep them out of the sun
keep them from freezing

Don't leave them on the car very long or for storage. Remove them or put it on jackstands.
Yeah, these things have been deflated and off the rims from his car since the 70's. They've been kept in the basements dark side of the force since then. They are 15" in diameter and most likely 7" wide, but probably 9' Not sure yet.

Give them a good cleaning, let them dry and spray them with the protectant product "303" keep them a cool dark place.

50 years? tires become unsafe beyond 10 years.
I think your insurance company would frown if you ever had a claim using a 50 year old tire.
Probably be OK for car shows if they hold air and don't fly apart.
I wouldn't consider putting them on my car, probably a good conversation piece for the shop.

Cool tires, but I agree...old rubber is very rarely good rubber.
Duly noted. I wish they were reproduced using the old mold design, but with current gummy technology.

My first pair of rock hard Caslers had me going 12.90's with stock heavy rotating internals, stock virgin 906's with the exception of a 528 cam, Isky adjustable rockers, Torker 440 manifold and a 830 Holley right off the highway back in 1990-'91.
You guys are right, even though these tires are gummier than my first pair 34 years ago, I would have never used them for competition. I'm going to clean 'em and just keep 'em as conversation pieces. Thanks fellas.

It would be nice so have that sticker on a metal stand to display those tires. That would be a great addition to any man-cave!

It would be nice so have that sticker on a metal stand to display those tires. That would be a great addition to any man-cave!
Well, if I ever do mount and inflate them onto steel wheels to (Display Only) with the car, at least the decal on the rear window will attest. I love that they were first right off the press to run on a real deal stick Max Wedge and I now have them as the second owner.
He also gave me the Delta inner tubes from back then.

1-7.jpeg

This is the Mad Max years later after it was raced. Now back in its original color.

View attachment 1728057
I was gifted these original (not recaps) Casler Cheaters along with their respective inner tubes from a friend that had 'em in his climate controlled basement for 50 years. They were mostly in the dark and only have about 20 runs on them from an original Max Wedge that he still owns.
Of course, I'm not planning to use them in competition, but how and what should I treat them with to keep them in nice condition?
Right now, they are dirty from basement dust and mud, but feel surprisingly gummy with no signs of dry rot on the walls. Lots of depth in those famous two groove threads as can be seen here.
I just would like to use them for car show purposes on my car which by chance has an original Casler water decal displayed.

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 1727258

View attachment 1727259
Send them to me I’ll keep them safe for you! Lol

Auto Transport Service
Back